Union Church--Footnote 3
Union Church Historical Marker
First church building completed 1859 near here.
On October 1, 1853, the first building committee was appointed; ground for church was donated by Joseph Judd, Sr.; the church building was started in 1854 and was in use before completion in 1859. Violet Toph, comp. People's History of Ripley County, Indiana, 5 vols. (Fort Wayne, Ind., 1969), 3:1272-73.
Apparently the donated land had not been properly conveyed in 1853. An 1885 report found that Union Church had no deed and no elected trustees. An April, 1886 committee reported that a deed for the church lot had been recorded as well as the certification of election for trustees. Violet Toph, comp. People's History of Ripley County, Indiana, 5 vols. (Fort Wayne, Ind., 1969), 3:1278.
On April 29, 1886, Alfred Judd and Emma Judd conveyed 1/4 acre of land, more or less, to the Freewill Baptist denomination in care of the trustees. The land was located in SW 1/4, Section 5, T8N, R10E. Ripley County, Deed Book 57, 499-500. Photocopy. In 1837, Joseph Judd (listed in note 1) purchased land in Jackson Township, Ripley County, Southwest 1/4, Section 5 (and east 1/2, Section 6) in Township 8N, Range 10E. Ripley County, Deed Book F, 408-09.