- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Revenue

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • tax talk widget
  • tax_videolibrary_widget
  • transparency_widget

DOR > Individual Income Taxes >  FAQs FAQs




Power of Attorney

Form IT-40 PNR

Use Tax Liability

Form 1099G



Show All Answers For This Section

When is my tax return due?

Generally, the due date for filing your tax return is April 15 following the close of the tax year. If April 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date for filing your tax return is the next business day.

Fiscal-year tax returns are due by the 15th day of the fourth month after the close of the fiscal year. You must complete the Fiscal Year date at the top of the income tax form you're filing.

Who must file a tax return?

You must file an Indiana individual income tax return if:

  • You lived in Indiana and received income greater than your exemptions, or
  • You lived outside Indiana and received income from Indiana.

For more information about who must file an Indiana tax return, click here.

Which return should I file?

Indiana has several different individual income tax returns. Preliminary rules of filing are:

  • If you file a single federal income tax return, you must file a single Indiana individual income tax return.
  • If you file a joint federal income tax return, you must file a joint Indiana individual income tax return.

For a detailed explanation of the different individual income tax returns and examples to help you choose which return is best for you, click here.

How do I read a refund check?

I need more time to file my taxes. What should I do?

You should file for a federal and/or state extension of time to file. For more information, click here

Please note, this form only allows you to file your tax return after the original due date, April 15. Any payment made when you file your tax return is subject to interest, and penalty may be due, too. For more information about penalty and interest, click here.

Where can I find my school corporation number?

The school corporation numbers are found in the index of the income tax booklets (IT-40, IT-40 PNR, IT-40 EZ). If you do not have access to a tax booklet, please call (317) 232-2240 for assistance.

When do I file an amended (corrected) return?

When there are changes to your income, exemptions or credits. This may result in a refund or tax due.

  • If you did not file an original return but you filed an amended federal return (1040X) then you will need to file the new figures as an original return on IT-40IT-40 PNR, or IT-40 EZ.
  • If you have already filed an original return, file an amended return using Form IT-40X

I have a gambling loss that I took on my federal return. Can I claim this on my state return?

No. Indiana does not have a deduction for gambling losses.

Does the Department have a payment plan option?

If the amount of tax due is more than $100, the department can establish a payment plan. The request can be made once your return has completed processing and you have received a bill for the tax due.

The department now offers INtax Pay. This online program allows eligible Hoosiers to pay their tax bills and set up payment arrangements. This tool is available to taxpayers who owe individual income taxes, and businesses who conduct retail sales. To find out if you are eligible, click here.

For more information, please contact us at (317) 232-2165.


Does Indiana have an inheritance tax?

Indiana's inheritance tax was repealed for individuals dying after Dec. 31, 2012.

For more information, click here.

Why have I not received my worker's compensation exemption certificate?

For more information, click here.

Why is there a tax lien on my vehicle title?

For more information, click here.

How long should I wait on my refund before contacting the department?

Please allow a minimum of 3 weeks for electronically filed returns, and 12 weeks for paper filed returns.


Show All Answers For This Section

Can a college student claim the renter’s deduction?

College students may claim the renter’s deduction only if the residence is:

  • Their principal place of residence;*
  • The residence is subject to Indiana property tax.

*A principal place of residence is the place where you have your true, fixed, permanent home and where you intend to return after being absent.

For more information see Information Bulletin 38.

Can parents of a college student claim the renter’s deduction on their tax return?

No, this deduction is only available to the person who is living in the rented residence.

Can I take the renter’s deduction and also the homeowner’s property tax deduction?

These deductions are based on paying rent or property tax on your principal residence. If you paid Indiana property tax on your home and also paid rent on your home (maybe you sold your house in May and rented the remainder of the year), you can take both deductions. The property tax deduction is up to $2,500 and the rental deduction is up to $3,000.


Show All Answers For This Section

How do I get information about my tax bill?

You can inquire about a tax bill by using the department’s automated information line. You can find out your current balance due on any individual or business tax liability by calling (317) 233-4018.

You will need to have your tax identification number or Social Security number and the liability number or warrant number available when you call. This information is located on the bill you received.

If you have a rotary telephone, you may call (317) 232-2165  from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or (317) 232-2240 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What are my rights as an Indiana taxpayer?

All Indiana taxpayers have certain rights and responsibilities that correspond to the Indiana tax laws.

  • Quality taxpayer service
  • Taxpayer Advocate to help taxpayers in the preservation of their rights
  • Taxpayer education and information
  • A fair collection process
  • Appointed hearing time and representation
  • Demand Notices
  • Warrants for collection of tax
  • Judgment liens against property
  • Annual Public Hearing and Department Report

For more information on what these rights mean, click here.

What are my responsibilities as an Indiana taxpayer?

Your responsibilities as an Indiana taxpayer:

  • You should file your tax returns and pay any taxes due on time.
  • You should notify us in writing when you have an address change.
  • You should know the tax laws that relate to you as an individual or a business, and comply with those laws.
  • You should contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

What is the department’s delinquent tax collection process?


Every Indiana taxpayer has the right to a fair collection process. You have the right to protest a liability. If you protest a liability, the department is required to conduct a hearing on that case. You are entitled to be represented at your hearing when your case is presented. If a liability is not paid or protested within 60 days of the first notice, we will issue a "Demand Notice" for payment before issuing a tax warrant. If we do not receive a payment, a warrant for the collection of tax will be issued. When a tax warrant is filed with your county clerk, it becomes a judgment lien (levy) against all your property within the county. The department intends for you to have every opportunity to rectify your account balance whether it is paying it right away or protesting it.

Read about the collection process.
Know your rights and responsibilities as an Indiana taxpayer.

Power of Attorney

Show All Answers For This Section

What is a Power of Attorney (POA-1) form?

Taxpayers wanting to authorize a representative to have Power of Attorney on their behalf for state tax matters needs to fill out a POA-1 form. Only when the department has received the properly completed POA-1 form can a department employee speak with the representative about specific tax types and periods indicated on the form.

Where do I get the Power of Attorney (POA-1) form?

To view a POA-1 form, click here.

Where do I mail the completed POA-1 form?

Taxpayers or their POA representatives can mail the POA-1 form to the following address:
Indiana Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 7230
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7230

Can I fax the department a copy of the POA-1 form?

Taxpayers or their POA representatives can fax the POA-1 form to the following number: (317) 615-2605.

Can my certified public accountant (CPA) submit the POA-1 form for me?

Yes, CPAs can submit the POA-1 form for their clients as long as the document is signed by the taxpayer.

Do I need to have the POA-1 form notarized if a family member is my POA?

Regardless of whom taxpayers designate as their POAs, the POA-1 form does not need to be notarized.

Can the department speak to my family members without a POA-1 form on file?

No, a POA-1 form must be on file. The department will speak to a family member only if he or she has been declared a POA representative on the taxpayer’s POA-1 form. However, if a married couple filed a joint return, the department can speak to either spouse without a POA-1 form.

My family member is on active duty in the military. How can he or she complete the form?

The military family member can print the POA-1 form from the department’s website. Then he or she can complete the POA-1 form, sign it, and submit it. He or she can submit it via mail or fax.

Can anyone be my POA, or does it have to be an attorney or a CPA?

Taxpayers can designate anyone, including family members, CPAs or attorneys, to be their POA representative.

If I submit my POA-1 form to my local district office, will my POA representative be able to speak with an employee at any Indiana Department of Revenue office?

Yes, the POA representative may speak with any department employee after the POA-1 form has been processed in the department’s system. However, depending on how the form was received, there may be a delay before the POA-1 is visible statewide.

I’ve entered my representative’s company name on the POA-1 form. Can the department talk with anyone who works at that firm?

A company cannot be represented on the POA-1 form. By law, the department can accept only an individual’s name as a POA representative. The department will not accept a POA-1 form that does not have a designated POA representative from a company.

Can I give blanket permission for my POA representative to receive information for all my tax types and years?

Yes, please check the box on page 2 to indicate that you want to grant authority for all periods and tax types.

How much will it cost me to file the POA-1 form with the department?

There is no cost to the taxpayer or POA representative to file a POA-1 form with the department.

Do I need to complete a POA-1 if I am listed as the personal representative on the individual tax return?

If you are listed as an authorized personal representative on the tax return, a POA-1 is not required to discuss that specific return with you. However, if you have additional questions outside of the tax return itself, other tax years, or other submitted forms, the POA-1 will be required.

When does my POA expire with the department?

Your POA will expire after five years. Therefore, you will need to renew the POA with the department every five years.

Form IT-40 PNR

Show All Answers For This Section

I am an Indiana resident in the military. My spouse is not an Indiana resident. We filed a joint federal return. How do we file with Indiana?

You will need to file using Form IT-40PNR. Indiana will tax all of your income, plus any income your spouse may have received from Indiana sources.

I worked in Indiana for six months. Then I worked six months in another state. How should I file my Indiana taxes?

Since this question has a variety of different scenarios, it would be best to refer to page 6 of the Form IT-40PNR tax booklet. Then you would need to see what the guidelines are for the other state(s).

Do I have to figure county tax?

You will if, on Jan. 1 of the year, you lived or worked in an Indiana county.

Use Tax Liability

Show All Answers For This Section

Who owes Indiana Use Tax?

Generally, any type of business entity (individual, partnership, corporation, etc) that makes purchases of tangible personal property are subject to use tax unless you previously paid at least a 7-percent sales tax on the purchase to the vendor. Use tax can be thought of as a mirror of the sales tax. Both our sales tax and use tax rates are 7 percent.

Use tax is due on property brought into Indiana for use, storage or consumption, unless the Indiana Code (IC 6-2.5-5) contains an applicable exemption for your purchase. If you paid at least 7-percent sales tax at the time of purchase you do not owe a use tax. However, if you did not pay at least a 7-percent sales tax you may owe use tax.

What type of purchases might cause me to become liable for Use Tax?

  • Catalog purchases by phone or mail from out-of-state vendors
  • Internet purchases from out-of-state vendors
  • Items withdrawn from your inventory for personal use or to give away
  • Any purchase for which a statutory exemption is not available per the Indiana Code (IC 6-2.5-5)

What are some common examples of purchases I may make that become subject to the Indiana Use Tax?

  • A dentist operates his/her business as a sole proprietorship. The dentist buys toothbrushes from an out-of-state supply house to give away to their patients during their annual exam. The vendor did not collect any sales tax on this sale. The dentist owes 7 percent use tax on these purchases as there is not an existing statutory exemption for this type item given away. The dentist should report the use tax on form ST-115.
  • An auto repair shop purchases shop rags and other cleaning materials from an-out-of-state vendor. The vendor did not collect sales tax on the invoice. The auto repair shop should report these purchases on their next sales tax return, form ST-103, as being subject to use tax and remit the 7 percent use tax due.
  • A manufacturer purchases new office furniture for their corporate office use from an out-of-state distributor. The distributor collects their state's 6 percent sales tax on the selling price. The manufacturer owes an additional 1 percent Indiana use tax on this purchase since the property is being used, stored or consumed within Indiana. The manufacturer should report this use tax liability on their ST-103 sales tax return.
  • A law firm maintains an extensive legal library. Many of their legal books, manuals and publications are from out-of-state publishers who do not collect sales tax on items shipped into Indiana. The law firm owes 7-percent Indiana use tax on these type of purchases and can remit these on their ST-103 return, if they are a registered retail merchant, or they can use the form ST-115.
  • An individual orders magazines, clothing and novelty items from various out-of-state catalog companies. Sometimes the individual orders the items via mail, sometimes via the telephone and sometimes online over the Internet. This individual should report these purchases to Indiana as being subject to our use tax of 7 percent. The individual can report these purchases on their Individual Income Tax Returns (IT-40 or IT-40EZ) or they may use a Form ST-115.

What about items I purchase at garage sales and auctions?

Items sold at garage sales are generally exempted under Indiana's casual sale statute. A casual sale exemption is applicable when the seller is not in the "business" of selling merchandise and the seller has already paid an original sales or use tax on the item. (Information Bulletin 20)

Items purchased at auctions are slightly more complex. Naturally, if the auctioneer collects the 7 percent sales tax you will not owe any additional use tax. Also, if the auction takes place on the premises of the owner of the tangible personal property the items are considered to be "casual sales," and therefore, exempt from sales and/or use tax. However, if the merchandise to be sold is moved to a location not owned by the owner of the merchandise, the sales become subject to sales and/or use tax. All sales at auction "houses" are subject to the sales or use tax. (Information Bulletin 20)

What if I've paid sales tax to another state?

The Indiana use tax rate is 7 percent, same as our sales tax rate. Thus if you:

  • Paid sales tax of 7 percent or more to the other state you do not owe use tax to Indiana
  • Paid sales tax of less than 7 percent to the other state, your Indiana use tax will be the difference between the Indiana 7 percent use tax and the amount you paid to the other state.

Why should I report and pay the Indiana Use Tax?

If you self-report the use tax due you will only owe the tax. If you wait until the Department of Revenue issues you a bill for the use tax due you will have to pay a 10 percent penalty, plus interest. The Indiana Code requires use tax to be paid unless at least an equal amount of sales tax was paid on your taxable purchases. IC 6-2.5-3-2

Form 1099G - Issued by the Indiana Department of Revenue

Show All Answers For This Section

What is this statement?

The Form 1099G is a report of income you received from the department during 2016. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires government agencies to report certain payments made during the year, because these payments are considered taxable income for the recipients. The department must report any refund, credit or offset of state and/or county income tax made during 2016 to individuals who claimed itemized deductions on their federal income tax returns for the year in Box 3. We must also include any interest paid on those refunds, credits or offsets.

What should I do with this statement? Do I need to report the amount shown?

The Form 1099G is a report of income you received from the department during 2016. It is not a bill, and you should not send any type of payment in response to the statement. If a professional preparer handles your taxes, you should give this statement to the preparer, along with your other tax information, such as W-2s. If you prepare your own taxes, you should review the federal return instructions for reporting state tax refunds, or visit the IRS web site at for more information.

Why did I receive this statement?

The department's records show that we issued you a refund or overpayment credit during 2016 for the taxable year shown in Box 3. You may be required to report the refund or credit as income on your 2016 federal income tax return.

Do I have to report my refund as income?

You may have to report a state refund received in 2016 as income if you claimed itemized deductions on your 2015 federal income tax return.

In computing itemized deductions on your federal income tax return, you are allowed to deduct all of the state and county income taxes paid during the year. Most people deduct the amount of state and county income tax withheld, as shown on Form W-2, plus any Indiana estimated tax payments made during the year. Since this deduction reduces federal taxable income, if any part of the state and/or county tax deducted on the federal return is later refunded (as a result of filing your Indiana state income tax return), then that amount has to be reported as taxable income for the year in which the refund is issued.

Example: Sally Smith's 2015 W-2 showed $1,000 Indiana state withholding and $200 Indiana county withholding. She deducted the total $1,200 state and county withholding as an itemized deduction on her 2015 federal tax return. When she filed her 2015 Indiana state tax return, she got a $300 refund, which was issued June 1, 2016. This means that she only paid $900 in state and county taxes altogether for 2015, rather than the $1,200 she claimed. Therefore, Sally will be required to report the $300 difference on her 2016 federal tax return. (Note: Sally will also claim the $300 as a deduction on her Indiana tax return on Schedule 2, line 3. See the 2016 IT-40 instruction booklet for more information.)

This statement shows a refund amount that includes interest. What am I supposed to report as income?

You may need to report both amounts as income. If so, the interest would be included with the other interest income you report on your federal return. For information on federal reporting requirements, visit the IRS web site at

I have checked my records and I'm sure this statement is incorrect. What should I do?

Please contact us at (317) 232-2118, or write to us at P.O. Box 7207, Indianapolis, IN, 46206-7207, to request a letter of correction. Be sure to include your Social Security number, and explain why you believe the Form 1099G is incorrect.

I itemized my deductions last year, but haven't yet received a Form 1099G. Is it too late to get one?

We usually mail out the Form 1099G statements around Jan. 1. If it's after the end of January and you still haven't gotten your statement, contact us at (317) 232-2118, or write to us at P.O. Box 7207, Indianapolis, IN, 46206-7207, to request this information. Be sure to include your Social Security number with your request.

The Social Security number on my Form 1099G is wrong. Would you send a corrected statement to me?

Yes. Please contact us at (317) 232-2118, or write to us at P.O. Box 7207, Indianapolis, IN, 46206-7207. Give us both the incorrect Social Security number from the statement and your correct number. We'll issue a corrected statement to you.

I claimed a refund from Indiana for 2015, but the Indiana Department of Revenue applied the money to a tax bill I owed for another year or to another state agency. Does this mean the statement is wrong? Do I still have to report this as income?

Indiana law requires refunds to be applied to outstanding billings or to other agency offsets. The application of funds doesn't change the fact that you claimed an overpayment for the year on your tax return. Even though you didn't actually receive a check, an overpayment transaction took place, and you are subject to the same federal reporting requirements as if you had received a refund check.

I did show an overpayment on my 2015 state tax return, but I had the money applied as a credit (estimated tax payment) to my 2016 account. Since I didn't get a refund, do I still have to report this?

A refund and a credit are simply different types of overpayment transactions. We must include any overpayment allowed on your 2015 tax return, whether issued as a refund or as a credit, on our Form 1099G. As a result, you are subject to the same federal reporting requirements as if you had received a refund check.

This statement says the refund was issued for 2014, but I already reported that refund on my 2015 federal tax return. Can you correct the statement? If not, what should I do?

We are required to report refund transactions in the year they actually occur. Since your 2013 refund was issued in 2016, we cannot issue a Form 1099G as if the transaction took place in 2014. You should contact the Internal Revenue Service, or visit their website at, to find out whether you should amend your 2015 federal return, or take some other action to correct the reporting error.

This statement shows a refund of $800 for 2014. I did get a refund for that amount, but I amended my state return a few months later, and had to pay $500 back. Shouldn't the statement say my net refund was $300?

Under federal law, the department is required to report the actual refund or credit amount. We cannot net the amount against other transactions. Therefore, your Form 1099G is correct as issued. For information on how to report the income and deduct your payment on your 2016 federal return, visit the IRS website at

This statement says the refund was issued for 2012. Why should I have to report that now? Why was a 2012 refund issued in 2016?

Our records apparently show that a refund for 2012 was issued on your account during 2016, and that you claimed itemized deductions for 2012. Since the transaction took place in 2016, the income would be reported on your 2016 federal return. If you don't have a record of filing an amended Indiana tax return for 2012, or of resolving a claim or dispute related to your 2011 return during 2016, please contact us for an explanation at: Indianapolis main office, (317) 232-2240; write to us at P.O. Box 7207, Indianapolis, IN, 46206-7207; or call or visit one of our District Offices located throughout the state.

Form 1099G - Issued by the Department of Workforce Development

The Form 1099G issued by the Department of Workforce Development is a report of unemployment compensation issued to you.

For information about this statement, contact the Department of Workforce Development at:

Indiana Department of Workforce Development
Benefit Administration Section
10 N Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2277

You may access their website at, or call them toll free at 800-891-6499.



Show All Answers For This Section

Which Indiana income tax form do I file?

You have special filing considerations if Indiana is your military home of record. Read the following to see which set of circumstances fits you.

  • If you are single, file Form IT-40.
  • If you are married and:
    1. Filed a separate federal income tax return, file a separate Indiana return on Form IT-40;
    2. Filed a joint federal income tax return, and your spouse is also a full-year Indiana resident, file Form IT-40; or
    3. Filed a joint federal income tax return, and your spouse is either a part-year Indiana resident or a full-year Indiana nonresident, file Form IT-40PNR This form will help you to separate the income to be taxed by Indiana.

How do I report my spouse's income?

If your spouse maintains his/her Indiana residency during your enlistment, all of his/her income will be taxed by Indiana, regardless of where you are stationed.

If your spouse is a part-year or full-year Indiana nonresident, income received during his/her Indiana residency, as well as income from Indiana sources, will be taxed by Indiana.

For examples and more military personnel information, click here.

Will I owe Indiana county tax?

Maybe. Indiana military personnel have special county tax filing considerations. See which of the following examples applies to you.

For examples and more military personnel information, click here.

Do I qualify for the National Guard and Reserve Component Members Deduction?

There is a deduction available for certain members of the reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps or the Merchant Marine, or a member of the Indiana Army National Guard or the Indiana Air National Guard.

A deduction is available for the income received as a result of service on involuntary orders during the period the above members were deployed and mobilized for full-time service, or during the period the above member's Indiana National Guard unit was federalized.

If you meet the above-requirements, see instructions in the IT-40 Instruction booklet for details on how to figure your deduction.