- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Board for Proprietary Education


The Board for Proprietary Education business meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:00 am - 12:30 pm (EST) to be held at 101 West Ohio Street, 7th Floor Conference Room, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204.

As of July 1, 2012 the Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education (COPE) ceased to exist, per legislation passed in the 2012 session of the Indiana General Assembly.

Indiana proprietary institutions that grant degrees - as well as all degree-granting, out-of-state institutions that offer instruction in Indiana - must now be authorized by the Indiana Board for Proprietary Education (BPE), which is housed under and staffed by the Commission for Higher Education (CHE).  For a current list of authorized institutions, click here.  For any questions about institutions on the BPE/CHE list, please call 317.232.1324 or 317.232.6716.

Indiana proprietary institutions that do not grant degrees - as well as all non-degree-granting, out-of-state institutions that offer instruction in Indiana - must now be authorized by the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, Office for Career and Technical Schools (OCCTS).  For information concerning OCCTS institutions, please click here.  OCCTS staff may also be reached by phone at 317.234.8339 or 317.234.8338.

All closed institutions records will be housed at the Indiana State Archives.  For a transcript request form, click here.Please note that there is a fee for each copy of a transcript requested in the amount of ten dollars ($10.00). The fee must accompany the request and can either be a check or a money order to be paid to: The Indiana Commission on Public Records (CPR). The form MUST be signed by the owner of the record (the former student).  All fields must be completed for the request to be accepted.  For any questions concerning transcript requests, please call 317.591.5220 Ext. 288.  Transcript request forms may be faxed to 317.591.5328.

BPE Info

8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

(317) 464-4400
Extension 138
Extension 141

(317) 233-4219