- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Board for Proprietary Education

Board for Proprietary Education


The Commission for Higher Education is charged with coordinating higher education in Indiana.  The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education - which is administered, staffed, and led by the Commission for Higher Education - is a 7-member public body created in 2012.  The Board is charged with authorizing all accredited Indiana proprietary institutions that grant degrees, as well as all accredited proprietary degree-granting, out-of-state institutions that offer instruction in Indiana. For a current list of authorized institutions, click here.

In addition, the Board is charged with protecting and informing the public at large.  These functions are carried out by the Commission through a student complaint process and by providing information to the public about authorized institutions.  For information about diploma mills, click here.

Brown Mackie College at Michigan City completed the teach-out process, and thus has closed as of 5/6/2016.

Kaplan College at Hammond and Indianapolis will each be renamed Brightwood College as of 1/8/2016.  

DeVry University at Indianapolis completed the teach-out process, and thus has closed as of 11/25/2015. 

Everest College at Merrillville completed the teach-out process, and thus has closed as of 6/1/2015.  For more information concerning the teach-out of Everest College at Merrillville, Indiana click on the link to the Federal Student Aid an Office of the U.S. Department of Education here.


Indiana has been accepted as part of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) through the Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC).

For a list of Indiana Institutions Approved by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, the State Portal Agency, to Participate in SARA click here for the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) website.

What is SARA? The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts.

How can my institution join SARA? Any Indiana public, private not-for-profit or private for-profit degree-granting institution is eligible to join SARA, provided that its main campus or central unit is legally domiciled in the State of Indiana and that it is accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.  To initiate the process for joining SARA, complete and submit the following application link

Questions regarding this process can be directed to:

Ken Sauer, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Indiana Board for Proprietary Education
Senior Associate Commissioner and Chief Academic Officer,
Indiana Commission for Higher Education

Ross Miller
Director, State Authorization and Reciprocity

Complaints to the Indiana Commission for Higher Education regarding Indiana degree-granting post-secondary institutions participating in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) may be filed link

Indiana proprietary institutions that do not grant degrees - as well as all non-degree-granting, out-of-state institutions that offer instruction in Indiana - must be authorized by the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, Office for Career and Technical Schools (OCTS). For information concerning OCTS institutions, please click here.  OCTS staff may also be reached by phone at 317.234.8339 or 317.234.8338.

All closed institutions records will be housed at the Indiana State Archives.  For a transcript request form, click here. Please note that there is a fee for each copy of a transcript requested in the amount of ten dollars ($10.00). The fee must accompany the request and can either be a check or a money order to be paid to: The Indiana Archives and Records Administration (IARA).  The form must be signed by the owner of the records (the former student).  All fields must be completed for the request to be accepted.  For any questions concerning transcript request, please call 317.591.5220 Ext. 288. The transcript request form may be faxed to 317.591.5328.

Further Information:
Indiana has been approved as the first state to join the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA)
Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) News Release click here.

The following campuses have had an orderly closure on the date indicated:

  • 12/23/2013 Strayer University at Indianapolis
  • 12/24/2013 Kaplan College at Indianapolis (Woodland Drive campus only)
  • 1/15/2014 Sanford-Brown College at Indianapolis

Updated:  5/6/2016

More Online Services »

BPE Info

8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.