Language Translation
  Close Menu

Tax Filing FAQ


By Former MoneyWise Staffer, Kelly Griese

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The deadline is finally here. So, for all the lastminute tax filers, you have until Monday, May 17 to submit your state and federal returns. Typically, Tax Day is on April 15, but for the second year in a row the deadline was extended because of the Coronavirus pandemic.

To help all of you who are rushing to gather your forms and receipts, I thought I would pull some helpful information from the Indiana Department of Revenue (IDOR) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) websites in the form of an FAQ.

Where do I go for tax forms?
You can find Indiana’s tax forms on the IDOR website or order by phone at 317-615-2581.

For federal tax forms, visit the IRS website or call 1-800-829-3676.

How do I request a filing extension?
If you can’t meet the May 17 deadline, you should request a filing extension. You can do so for free online by visiting the IRS website. Keep in mind that a filing extension does NOT grant you any extension of time to pay your taxes. You should estimate and pay any owed taxes by your regular deadline to avoid possible penalties.

If an IRS extension is granted, you will automatically receive an extension from Indiana as well.

What if I’m receiving unemployment?
Your unemployment compensation is taxable on both your federal and state tax returns. You’ll need to include this information on Form 1099G. Total taxable unemployment compensation includes the new federal programs implemented in 2020 due to COVID-19:

  • Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)
  • Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
  • Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
  • Lost Wages Assistance (LWA)

You MAY be eligible for a deduction that could reduce or eliminate any state tax due on your unemployment compensation. Visit the IDOR website to learn more.

Why haven’t I received my refund?
You can do a search on the IRS website to find out the status of your refund. To use the online portal, you will need your Social Security number or ITIN, your filing status, and your exact refund amount.

The IRS explains that some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

  • Includes errors such as an incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amount
  • Is incomplete
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit using 2019 income
  • Includes a Form 8379, Insured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
  • Needs further review in general

I think I’m the victim of a tax scam. What should I do?
First, check out the tax scam webpages for IDOR and the IRS to see the latest examples of reported scams. To report being scammed yourself, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or IDOR at

Who can help me file?
There are a number of organizations that can assist in preparing individual income taxes.

Blog topics:  Archive, Budgeting