PUBLIC INFORMATION SCAM ALERT!
It has come to our attention that a scammer has been making fraudulent calls, impersonating a Deputy from the Morgan County Sheriff's Office. This individual, who identifies himself as Deputy Jeffrey Adkins, falsely informs unsuspecting victims that they have a warrant for their arrest. They then demand immediate payment to avoid being arrested.
Please be aware that this is a scam. Deputy Jeffrey Adkins does not work for our agency, and we do not provide information about warrants or request money over the phone. Unfortunately, these scam tactics are becoming more frequent, and we want to ensure the safety and security of our community members.
To protect yourself from falling victim to such scams, we offer the following helpful hints:
- Do not give money over the phone - Never transfer funds or make payments without verifying the source and authenticity of the request.
- Avoid using gift cards or electronic gift cards - Scammers often request payment through these methods. Be cautious and refuse to engage in any transactions involving gift cards.
- Verify the caller's identity - If someone claims to be from an official organization, such as law enforcement or a company, independently verify their employment status and contact the affiliation through their publicly listed number. Obtain all relevant information to confirm their legitimacy.
- Protect your personal information - Never disclose personal or sensitive information over the phone unless you have verified the recipient's identity through credible sources. Be cautious with providing any details that could be used for identity theft or financial fraud.
- Hang up and seek advice from others - If you are instructed not to hang up or speak with anyone else, it is often a red flag. The best course of action is to hang up immediately and consult with trusted individuals who can provide guidance and support.
We urge everyone to remain vigilant and report any suspicious calls or activities to your local law enforcement agency.
Please share this information with your family, friends, and neighbors to ensure their awareness and protection. Together, we can combat these fraudulent schemes and safeguard our community.
Stay informed, stay alert, and stay safe!