Indiana State Board of Education
Established by the Indiana General Assembly, the State Board of Education oversees K-12 education policymaking in the State of Indiana. The bipartisan board is composed of eleven members, including the Superintendent of Public Instruction. Eight members are appointed by the Governor and must include:
At least six appointees with professional experience in the field of education;
Not more than one appointee from a particular congressional district; and
Not more than five appointees belonging to the same political party.
The remaining two board members are appointed by the Speaker of the Indiana House Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Indiana Senate respectively.
El Documento de Graduaciones en espanol se puede encontrar aqui.
Graduation Pathways Policy Guidance was approved July 11, 2018. Information below:
The Locally Created Pathways (the 2019 window to submit applications is now closed).
A-F Audit and Appeal
Please submit questions to the Indiana State Board of Education at the following email address: TSchultz1@sboe.in.gov
Accountability Baseline Reset Request Review Process
Applications for an accountability baseline reset are solicited annually from school corporations and accredited non-public schools. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis within a prescribed window. Each applicant will then have an opportunity to respond to the State’s initial determination, including a chance to submit additional artifacts and/or evidence in response to the initial determination. State officials will review any additional information and issue a final determination no later than September 10.
Application Window Opens: May 1, Annually
Application Window Closes: July 31, Annually
Initial Determination: 10 business days from submission
Applicant Response Window: 10 business days from initial determination
Final Determination: No later than September 10
511 IAC 6.2-10-9 School changes due to opening, reopening, reconfiguring, or redistribution of students; new accountability baselines
Beginning March 1, 2016, this section applies to schools that:
- reconfigure; or
- redistribute students.
To obtain a new accountability baseline, an eligible school must clearly demonstrate all of the following criteria:
- An increase or decrease of at least seventy percent (70%) of the student population from the previous year, either by elimination or addition.
- A significant change in educational philosophy, curriculum, or staffing.
- A change is not being made to avoid accountability
Applications can be sent to Applications@sboe.in.gov
Upcoming Meetings and Hearings
- The Education Dispute Resolution Working Group will meet September 19, 1:00 PM, IGCS, Conf. Rooms 4&5, 302 W. Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204. For additional information click here and scroll down.
- The State Board will hold a business meeting on October 2, 2019 at 9:30AM ET at Indiana University Northwest. The board will hold a closed door executive session at 9:00AM ET before the open business meeting.
- The Accountability Panel meeting on October 3 at 9AM ET in the Indiana Statehouse, House Chamber. For additional information click here.
- The Education Dispute Resolution Working Group will meet October 3, 1:00 PM, IGCS, Conf. Room 29, 302 W. Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204. For additional information click here and scroll down.