Indiana State Board of Education
Established by the Indiana General Assembly, the State Board of Education oversees K-12 education policymaking in the State of Indiana. The bipartisan board is composed of eleven members, including the Secretary of Education. Eight members are appointed by the Governor and must include:
- At least six appointees with professional experience in the field of education;
- Not more than one appointee from a particular congressional district; and
- Not more than five appointees belonging to the same political party.
The remaining two board members are appointed by the Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Indiana Senate respectively.
Local School Boards Can Petition SBOE for Flexibility From Statute and Regulations
1003 Flexibility Waivers
- The Graduation Pathways approved December 6, 2017, and amended November 14, 2018, can be found here.
- El Documento de Graduaciones en espanol se puede encontrar aqui.
- Graduation Pathways Policy Guidance was approved July 11, 2018. Information below:
Please submit questions to the Indiana State Board of Education at the following email address: Applications@sboe.in.gov
Upcoming Meetings and Hearings
The Board will hold its next monthly business meeting on Tuesday, December 5th, 2023 at 9:00 A.M. EDT Auditorium, Indiana Government Center South, 302 W. Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204. It may be viewed here. Public comment may be submitted to SBOE_Comment@sboe.in.gov.
The December 5, 2023 agenda can be viewed here.