Indiana State Board of Education
Established by the Indiana General Assembly, the State Board of Education oversees K-12 education policymaking in the State of Indiana. The bipartisan board is composed of eleven members, including the Superintendent of Public Instruction. Eight members are appointed by the Governor and must include:
- At least six appointees with professional experience in the field of education;
- Not more than one appointee from a particular congressional district; and
- Not more than five appointees belonging to the same political party.
The remaining two board members are appointed by the Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Indiana Senate respectively.
Information Regarding COVID-19 and State Board of Education Meetings
The January 13, 2021 State Board of Education meeting will be held in person at the Indiana State Library in the History Reference Room 211, 315 W. Ohio Street, Indianapolis, Indiana. Masks are required. Rooms are set for social distancing. Only 10 members of the public will be allowed in the State Library's main public entrance prior to 8:55am.
Local School Boards Can Petition SBOE for Flexibility From Statute and Regulations. More Info Below:
The following SBOE Accountability Framework was shared at the November 10, 2020 meeting:
Webinars featuring panelists interacting with questions and answers are available below with targeted audiences indicated.
The Graduation Pathways approved December 6, 2017, and amended November 14, 2018, can be found here.
El Documento de Graduaciones en espanol se puede encontrar aqui.
Graduation Pathways Policy Guidance was approved July 11, 2018. Information below:
Locally Created Pathways - The window to submit applications for the 2021-2022 school year is March 1 to May 31, 2021.
- Note: Schools that submitted an appeal under these guidelines that was received prior to 11:59 pm EDT on September 22, 2020 had their A-F letter grade embargoed until resolved.
- The State Board placed grades on October 7, 2020. A second appeal window closed on October 30 and schools had until 11:59 pm EDT on that day to appeal. The grades were released on October 7, 2020.
Please submit questions to the Indiana State Board of Education at the following email address: Applications@sboe.in.gov
Accountability Baseline Reset Request Review Process
Applications for an accountability baseline reset are solicited annually from school corporations and accredited non-public schools. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis within a prescribed window. Each applicant will then have an opportunity to respond to the State’s initial determination, including a chance to submit additional artifacts and/or evidence in response to the initial determination. State officials will review any additional information and issue a final determination no later than September 10.
Application Window Opens: May 1, Annually
Application Window Closes: July 31, Annually
Initial Determination: 10 business days from submission
Applicant Response Window: 10 business days from initial determination
Final Determination: No later than September 10
511 IAC 6.2-10-9 School changes due to opening, reopening, reconfiguring, or redistribution of students; new accountability baselines
Beginning March 1, 2016, this section applies to schools that:
- reconfigure; or
- redistribute students.
To obtain a new accountability baseline, an eligible school must clearly demonstrate all of the following criteria:
- An increase or decrease of at least seventy percent (70%) of the student population from the previous year, either by elimination or addition.
- A significant change in educational philosophy, curriculum, or staffing.
- A change is not being made to avoid accountability
Applications can be sent to Applications@sboe.in.gov
Upcoming Meetings and Hearings
The Board will hold its next monthly business meeting on Wednesday, May 5, 2021. Though the meeting will be held in person in the Auditorium at the Indiana Government Center South, 302 W. Washington Street Indianapolis, IN 46204, it may be viewed at https://youtu.be/7C7t_5rxU5g. Public comment may be submitted to SBOE_Comment@sboe.in.gov.
The May 5th, 2021 agenda can be viewed here.