Language Translation
  Close Menu

Utility Complaints

The OUCC's primary responsibility is to represent the interests of all utility consumers in cases before state and federal regulatory agencies, mainly the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC). The OUCC’s External Affairs Division is a resource for Indiana's utility consumers, provides consumer education on a wide range of utility-related topics, and assists consumers with filing comments on pending cases.

If you would like information on a specific case or would like to comment for the case record, please click here.

If you have a specific problem, concern or complaint in need of dispute resolution about an IURC-regulated utility in Indiana, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission’s (IURC’s) Consumer Affairs Division can assist. Examples of complaints include billing, deposit, metering, and service quality disputes.

  • If you have received a disconnection notice, call the IURC Consumer Affairs Division directly at (317) 232-2712. The IURC can also be reached toll-free at 1-800-851-4268.
  • Before filing a complaint, you must contact the utility first and give it the opportunity to address your concerns. Generally, the most effective way to resolve your problem is to first contact the utility (noting when you made the contact and the person with whom you spoke).

The OUCC also refers all consumer complaints regarding telecommunications and video service providers to the IURC Consumer Affairs Division. While the IURC has limited jurisdiction on telecommunications matters, it may be able to assist in certain situations.

The state does not regulate rates and charges for the utilities and services listed below. While the OUCC may be able to assist you on a case-by-case basis, we suggest you also contact your local Better Business Bureau or the other agencies listed for specific industries to help you with your concern.

Cable television, Cellular/Wireless telephones, Internet services

  • If you have a complaint or concern that you cannot resolve with the utility, please contact the IURC. The following resources may also be helpful:

Long distance pre-paid calling cards

  • Complaints should be directed to the FTC.

Municipal sewer utilities

  • Complaints can be directed to your city council or municipal sewer board.

Utilities that have withdrawn from IURC jurisdiction as allowed by Indiana law.

  • The OUCC can direct consumers to the appropriate bodies for complaints about these utilities.