Becoming a Main Street
Welcome to the Indiana Main Street Application Process. We are very excited that your community is considering Indiana Main Street as a resource to help revitalize your historic downtown commercial district!
Get started here:
- Review What is Indiana Main Street to gain an understanding of the program and its benefits.
- Contact your region’s Community Liaison (CL) from our Office of Community and Rural Affairs for an introduction to Indiana Main Street and an intent to apply (if applicable). The list of Community Liaisons can be found on this webpage.
- Review the Checklist for getting started with a Main Street Program.
READY TO APPLY?
Applications are open to new and existing Main Street communities.
Thank you for your interest in the Indiana Main Street 2022 application process! Below you will find the steps to apply to become one of the following Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA) designations. Existing IAMS and ODAN communities, who qualify, are also invited to use this process to apply for the next level.
- Nationally Accredited Main Street (NAMS)
- Indiana Accredited Main Street (IAMS)
- OCRA's Downtown Affiliate Network (ODAN)
- Download more information on all three levels, here
- Download the Letter of Intent template, here
Disclaimer: The Indiana Main Street Program is a part of the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA). As a trademarked program under the National Main Street Center, a community or district may not call itself an ‘Indiana Main Street,’ nor may it employ an ‘Indiana Main Street Manager/Director’ without an application and official designation by OCRA. We do, however, encourage communities to organize and implement the Four Point Approach™ prior to their designation. Designation by IMS permits a Main Street community to use IMS branding and program association.
- Applications open on November 1, 2021
- Letter of Intent (LOI) due December 30, 2021 at 4pm EST
- IMS, with OCRA Community Liaison’s as coordinators, consult with local program as needed November-February to assist with application development.
- Applications due February 10, 2022
- Indiana Main Street (IAMS) readiness presentations with review committee (in-person or virtual) – week of February 14-18, 2022.
- National Main Street (NAMS) on-site visits/evaluations with select MSA and IMS reviewers (in-person) – week of February 21-25, 2022.
- Scoring committee meets in February 2022 to score applications
- IMS Council meets to hear and present recommendations by end of March 2022
- Incoming Main Street communities formally announced in April 2022
Indiana Main Street Application Instructions and Processes
- Click the Program Level that your community is applying to: