Language Translation
  Close Menu

Public Health Nuisances List

Air Pollution – Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has primary jurisdiction. This department may do an initial investigation and refer to IDEM

Open Burning – The health department will send out an initial letter, enforcement is by IDEM.

Dead Animal – Disposal Board of Animal Health for large domestic animals

Nuisance Wildlife Information (DNR)

Bed Bugs – not known to transmit diseases, however, the health department will investigate hotels/motels complaints. Professional exterminators are required. More Bed Bug Information

Blue-Green Algae or IDEM – Blue Green Algae Local health department does not have the expertise to address this issue.

Cockroaches – are a nuisance and can contribute to asthma, health department can take some limited action on an infestation.

Food – The health department does inspect food establishments and follows up on food complaints.

Food-borne illness will require follow-up interviews, most foodborne illnesses take 8 to 72 hours to develop; often the time frame excludes the last meal one ate.

Floods – Homeowner Rehabilitation – State has information to help homeowners with the flood aftermath

County Garbage and Trash or Open Dumping – Health department and Zoning can pursue this- it often becomes a judgment call as to taking legal action. Often these are cleaned up and the complaint is closed. The department needs a new complaint if the conditions deteriorate again.

Hotel and Motels – no code on these establishments which limits authority- health department can investigate using general nuisance codes

Housing & Rentals – there is no housing code in the county: see housing for general information

Landlord/Tenant – Indiana Codes has landlord and tenant responsibilities.

Lead can permanently and irreversibly damage the developing brain and other organs of young children. In 1978 lead was removed from paint and many older homes have lead issues. The health department does follow up on children with high blood lead levels.

Meth – State police notify the health department of a bust, under an IDEM rule the property is to be decontaminated before lived in or sold. The State Board of Health has instructed the local health department to condemn the property until clean-up occurs. The Indiana State Police list all properties not just residences on its website.

Mobile Home Parks, Campgrounds – This is a state program. The county health department will forward complaints to ISDH or you can submit them online to ISDH.

ISDH–Mold and CDC–Mold – There is no standard that indicates mold is too high or is a violation; mold produces non-specific health symptoms. Without a doctor’s statement, the health department is very limited on any enforcement.

Mosquitoes – are mainly an education program and self-protection only a few mosquitoes transmit disease and these usually become an issue late in the summer.

Odors – by themselves are not a health hazard

Sewage (septic) Disposal:



  • Pools – must submit weekly water samples and fall under Indiana code
  • Beaches – the City of Culver tests its beach
  • Other beaches are private and tested by campground or organization that owns them

Radon – The health department does not have a radon program. The state has certified testing agencies and cleans up contractors

CDC-Rodents or ISDH-Rats – Health department will investigate. By code, the property owner is responsible for extermination. Rats will stay where there is food and water: garbage and animal food. Rats are known to steal dog food and water out of the dish and area smart enough to avoid the dog.

Tattoo/Piercings – the state code is complaint-driven, and there is no requirement to notify the health department that they are in business. The health department will investigate complaints.

Ticks & Lyme Disease or Ticks are an educational program

Unsafe Buildings – there is a county code; most of the violations require a building inspector. Often the property is made safe and secure and the complaint is closed. The department needs a new complaint if the conditions deteriorate again. Tearing it down is a long process.

Water Testing – the health department does not test the water. See a list of laboratories that do testing; one must use the laboratory bottles. Most testing is for bacteria which is fairly inexpensive. Chemical testing becomes specific to the chemicals and can be expensive. Water testing labs

Water Information

Wells – there is no county code on wells, residential wells are to be 50 from septic. IDEM monitors public and semi-public water supplies. The flood link has information on disinfecting wells.

Other Nuisances – The Health Departments Do Not have the power to address any offensive condition. What can be addressed depends on laws assigned to public health, and any county codes that have been passed on health nuisances. You can fill out a complaint form and a determination will be made on the subject matter.