10 ESSENTIAL PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES
The Essential Public Health Services provide the fundamental framework by describing the public health activities that should be undertaken in all communities. The Essential Services provide a working definition of public health and a guiding framework for the responsibilities of local public health systems.
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.