- Characterizations Ammunition Components
- Firearms Function Examinations
- Gun Shot Residue – Muzzle to Target Distance Determination
- Microscopic Comparisons
- National Integrated Ballistics Information Network (NIBIN)
- Serial Number Restoration
- Toolmark Examination
The Forensic Firearms Identification Unit provides comparison and identification of fired bullets and cartridge casings. The unit also provides examination and comparison of tool mark evidence, Integrated Ballistics Identification System (IBIS) database entry/inquiry for unsolved firearms related cases, muzzle to target distant determination, serial number restoration, function testing of firearms, and characterization of recovered ammunition components. Members of the unit also participate on the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Firearms/Ammunition System by evaluating new ammunition and firearms for future procurement.