High-quality hardwood forests and a business-friendly environment, has made Indiana ranked:
- 1st nationally in the production of wood office furniture and hardwood veneer
- 2nd in wood kitchen cabinets and countertops, manufactured homes
- 3rd in engineered wood products
- 4th in pre-fabricated wood buildings
- 5th in upholstered household furniture
Indiana’s hardwood industry has an annual economic impact of over $10 billion and supports 70,000 jobs -- 44,000 in primary and secondary manufacturing and 26,000 in ancillary sectors. 4.1 of Indiana’s 4.9 million forest acres are privately owned and statewide timber growth exceeds removals for harvest and natural tree mortality by 2.3 times. Hoosier forests offer a sustainable and natural raw material for manufactures that has an environmental impact difficult to beat!
ISDA continues to develop Indiana's competitiveness in the hardwood industry through trade shows, buyer missions, trade missions and promotion of business to business and consumer awareness both nationally and internationally. These efforts retain and expand existing hardwoods manufacturing jobs and increase local demand for the state's high-quality timber. For more information, contact Chris Gonso, Hardwoods Program Manager, at email@example.com. Sources: Purdue University, US Census Bureau; Indiana Hardwood Strategy
2019 Primary Industry Export Totals – Indiana
Foreign buyers seeking Indiana hardwood suppliers are encouraged to contact the ISDA Hardwoods Program Manager and complete the following:
Foreign buyers may also request a copy of the Indiana Hardwood Manufacturers EXPORT DIRECTORY.
2020 International Trade Shows
The following trade shows are sponsored by American Hardwood Export Council & Hardwood States Export Group.
- IndiaWood, Bangalore, India – February 27 – March 2
- Dubai International Wood & Wood Machinery Show, Dubai, U.A.E. – March 16 – 18
- Interzum Guangzhou, Guangzhou, China – March 28 – 31 – Postponed
- Sylvawood 2020, Shanghai, China – June 29 – July 1
- FMC Premium 2020, Shanghai, China – September 8 – 12
2019 Trade Leads
Lumber, log, veneer and other trade leads are available upon request for Hoosier wood products businesses.
- Dubai International Wood & Wood Machinery Show, Dubai, U.A.E.
- DelhiWood, Greater Noida (New Delhi), India
- Interzum Guangzhou, Guangzhou, China
- Tecno Mueble, Guadalajara, Mexico
- Furniture Manufacturing & Supply, Shanghai, China
- VietnamWood, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Indiana Hardwood Strategy
Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch unveiled a new economic development strategy to grow the state’s hardwoods industry on February 5, 2019. The strategy was commissioned by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, the Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen’s Association and the Indiana State Department of Agriculture, and was completed by DJ Case & Associates, Purdue Center for Regional Development, Purdue University Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, and Purdue Extension.
Indiana Hardwood Interactive Map
Developed by the Purdue Center for Regional Development using information from Hoover’s database, this interactive map of nearly 4,500 businesses in the hardwoods and forest products sectors. Establishments are shown as dots of varying sizes dependent on the number of jobs in the business. The usual mapping features of zoom-in, zoom-out, linear distance measurement, and exporting into various image types are available. A click on any dot (business establishment) produces a pop-up feature with various details about the establishment including name, physical and web address, line of business, industry type, and more.
Click here or on the screenshot below to view in a new window.
- 2019 Spring Indiana Forest Products Price Report and Trend Analysis
- Indiana’s Hardwood Industry: Its Economic Impact, 2016
- Legally Harvested Timber in Indiana
- The Sustainability of Indiana's Forest Resource
Hardwoods & Forestry Resources
- American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC)
- American Tree Farm System
- Cradle of Forestry - Forest Discovery Center
- Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center - Purdue University
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources - Division of Forestry
- Indiana Forest Products Community
- Indiana Forestry Exchange
- Indiana Forestry & Woodland Owners Association
- Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen's Association
- National Project Learning Tree Program
- Purdue Extension, Forestry and Natural Resources
- The Woodland Steward Institute
- USDA Forest Service - Northeastern Area Publications and Products