Specialty Crop Block Grant
Status: ISDA is currently accepting concept proposals in anticipation of a round of funding in Spring 2024.
The Specialty Crop Block Grant (SCBG) program helps State Departments of Agriculture enhance the competitiveness of specialty crops throughout the state of Indiana by:
- Leveraging efforts to market and promote specialty crops;
- Assisting producers with research and development relevant to specialty crops;
- Expanding availability and access to specialty crops; and,
- Addressing local, regional, and national challenges confront specialty crop producers.
Specialty crops are defined as “fruits, vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, horticulture, and nursery crops (including floriculture).” Please refer to the list of plants on the United State Department of Agriculture website to determine eligibility: https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/grants/scbgp/specialty-crop.
Specialty Crop Block Grant Program projects must enhance the competitiveness of specialty crops in the state of Indiana to be to be eligible. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that the proposed project will benefit the specialty crop industry and/or the public as a whole. Projects that benefit a single entity, organization, or individual are not eligible.
For-profit entities (including sole proprietors), nonprofit entities, local units of government (e.g., towns, cities, counties), and both public and private institutions of higher education (IHEs) may apply for the SCBGP. Individuals acting on their own are not eligible to apply.
This year, Indiana State Division of Agriculture (ISDA) is piloting the opportunity for potential SCBG applicants to receive feedback and guidance from ISDA staff about potential SCBG project ideas prior to submission of applications in the spring of 2024. Submission of a Concept Proposal is an option and therefore not required as a prerequisite to submit a SCBG application.
Components of the Concept Proposal
This summary should be concise and include the following information:
- Project Summary – Proposals should list the intended project scope.
- Budget – Proposals should also list budget. This will be high-level and list the anticipated main items as well as predicted costs. No formal estimates are needed at this time. For reference typical budget line item categories are: Personnel, Fringe, Travel, Equipment ($5,000 or more item), Supplies, Other and Contractual.
Submission of Concept Proposals
Please submit the Concept Proposal via the online form no later than December 4th, 2023. ISDA staff will be reaching out to all that submitted with feedback within 45 days following the deadline.
ISDA SCBGP Application Resources:
USDA-AMS SCBGP Resources: https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/grants/scbgp