Language Translation
  Close Menu

How to Enroll in CREP

Requirements for Enrolling

Landowners may enroll any amount of eligible cropland in the federal program and voluntary state 14-15 year contract.

Installation of conservation practices must be completed within 12 months of the federal CREP contract effective date.

Once enrolled in the CREP program the land cannot be developed (ie. no permanent structures or roads may be built). Existing abandoned structures and roads may remain if approved by DNR.

During the life of the contract, landowners must follow the Conservation Plan of Operation and land cannot go back into row crops or agricultural uses. The landowners retain the right to recreational use of their property providing it does not negatively impact the practices or cover established.

The state CREP contract is attached to the land deed; thus, a producer who purchases land enrolled in an active state CREP contract is required to participate in the program or refund state money paid to date and incur other penalties.

Steps for a CREP Contract

  • To enroll in the CREP program contact your local Soil and Water Conservation District or local Farm Service Agency. CREP has a continuous enrollment process.
  • A site visit of the land you want to enroll in the program will be scheduled.
  • Land will be verified for eligibility and eligibility of conservation practices will be determined.
  • An implementation plan will be drafted by technical staff.
  • Landowner will be provided an analysis of rental payment, cost-share and incentive payments.
  • A formal contract will be drawn and signed at the Farm Service Agency office.
  • Contract has to be approved by FSA County Committee.
  • Sign a completed state CREP enrollment form.
  • CREP enrollment form will be sent to ISDA for approval.

 Top FAQs