I-65 Northwest Indiana Expansion
The I-65 Northwest Indiana Expansion Project is the INDOT's initiative to improve traffic flow and add capacity on I-65 from State Road 2 (S.R. 2) to U.S. 30 in Newton and Lake Counties
The project will add one travel lane in each direction on this approximately 13-mile stretch of I-65. Additionally, the northbound and southbound bridges over the Kankakee River will be replaced to accommodate future expansion of the I-65 corridor. The project also includes resurfacing the overpasses at 93rd, 113th, 137th and 153rd avenues and main line bridge work at 109th Avenue, U.S. 231 and S.R. 2.
While construction is underway, motorists traveling in the area are likely to experience lane shifts and restrictions in the construction zone. An overview of these can be found here.
The I-65 Northwest Indiana Expansion Project is broken into three segments:
- I-65 from U.S. 231 to just south of U.S. 30
- A new outside shoulder will be constructed and the existing lanes will be restriped to accommodate three lanes in each direction. During construction, two lanes of traffic in each direction will be shifted toward the existing median. This increases the amount of space between traffic and the work zone, increasing safety for motorists and construction crews. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during peak hours with single lane closures occurring at night as needed to support construction activities.
- I-65 just south of S.R. 2 to U.S. 231
- Resurfacing of the existing lanes and shoulder will occur, and a third lane and inside shoulder will be constructed in the median. Two lanes of mainline traffic will remain open in each direction, as well as all interchange ramps during peak hours. Single lane closures will occur at night.
- Kankakee River Bridges
- The dual northbound and southbound bridges will be reconstructed. In 2017, only southbound traffic will be affected, with two lanes maintained. In 2018, northbound and southbound traffic will be crossed over to the newly constructed southbound bridge with two lanes maintained in each direction.
Because the project is being constructed on an accelerated timeline, work is expected to be completed in the fall of 2018, 18 months earlier than previously expected.
The two-year project, which began in May 2017, will add one additional travel lane in each direction on this approximately 13-mile stretch of I-65 and replace the northbound and southbound bridges over the Kankakee River to accommodate future expansion of the I-65 corridor.
- Project Update (March 2018)
- Public Meeting Presentation (March 2018)
- Project FAQs
- Project Fact Sheet
- Project Map
- Follow @INDOTNorthwest on Twitter and like us on Facebook at INDOT Northwest.
- Subscribe to receive text and email alerts about INDOT projects at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/subscriber/new.
- Motorists can learn about highway work zones and other traffic alerts at indot.carsprogram.org, 1-800-261-ROAD (7623) or 511 from a mobile phone.