At the final stage prior to construction, Real Estate Division staff coordinates obtaining the land necessary for transportation projects. This may occur for the construction of a new road or widening of an existing road, for instance. The quantity and value of all land, improvements and damages for each piece of property are determined in accordance with established laws and procedures.
Each required property is obtained by purchase or acquired through court process by right of eminent domain. INDOT district offices provide assistance to cities, towns and counties in their acquisition efforts for local roads and streets. The division is comprised of three sections: Operations, Appraising, and Acquisitions.
- Real Estate Manual and Resources
- FHWA Acquisition Brochure - BLUE
- FHWA Relocation Brochure - GREEN
- FHWA Relocation Brochure- SPANISH
- Current Real Estate Fee Schedules
- FHWA Training: 50 Ways to Lose Your Money
- Mature Mitigation Site Transfer Program
William T. Geibel
Director, Real Estate
Indiana Department of Transportation
100 N. Senate Ave., IGCN 642
Indianapolis, IN 46204