Language Translation
  Close Menu

Indiana Regulations Affecting Electronic Waste (e-Waste)

Many components of electronics, including computer monitors and television screens, are considered hazardous. Electronics contain several heavy metals such as hexavalent chromium, mercury, and lead. Although the regulations for computers from households and businesses differ, IDEM's goal is to keep all computers and other electronics out of landfills through reuse, remanufacturing, and recycling. If you have questions about electronic recycling regulations, please contact the Office of Program Support at (800) 988-7901 or email Questions regarding registration for an e-waste storage and processing facility may be directed to IDEM’s Office of Land Quality at (800) 451-6027, ext 3-1052.

Private companies interested in tax break information should refer to WasteWise: Electronics Reuse and Recycling (U.S. EPA).

Electronics from a household, public school, or small business...

As of January 1, 2011, the following items are prohibited from being discarded by Indiana households, public (including charter) schools, and small businesses:

  • Televisions
  • Computer monitors
  • Computers (including desktops, laptops, and tablets)
  • E-readers
  • Fax machines
  • Peripherals (including keyboards, mice, external hard drives, printers, all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers, projectors, and any other devices that are sold exclusively for external use with a computer and provide input into or output from a computer)
  • DVD players (including gaming systems that are able to play DVDs)
  • Digital photo frames
  • Digital media players
  • iPods/MP3 players
  • Camcorders/cameras
  • DVR/TiVo devices (including cable boxes and satellite boxes, but not satellite dishes)
  • Portable GPS navigation systems

To find an e-waste collection location near you, contact your local solid waste management district or utilize the list below to identify an e-waste collector in your area.

Electronics from a business...

Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (for businesses that generate no more than 220 lbs of hazardous waste per month):

Businesses and other organizations are not regulated under most federal and state requirements if they generate less than 220 lbs. total of hazardous waste, including computers and other electronics, per month. These wastes must still go to a facility authorized to receive solid waste. There are options that are environmentally preferable to disposal including donating and recycling electronics. You can also contact your local solid waste management district to see what other options are available near you.

Small Quantity and Large Quantity Generators

Wastes from facilities that generate more than 220 lbs. of hazardous waste per month are regulated under federal law. E-waste often meets the definition of hazardous waste, due to lead and other hazardous components.

Indiana’s e-waste regulations (329 IAC 16) exclude e-waste from regulation as solid and hazardous wastes if it is sent for reuse or recycling instead of disposal. E-waste generators must comply with the management standards in the regulations under the generator exclusion found in 329 IAC 16-3-1(7). If these management standards are followed, e-waste is not considered a hazardous waste and is not required to be managed as such.

Cathode ray tubes (CRTs) found in computers and televisions, that are disposed of by small or large quantity generators must be manifested as hazardous waste and sent to a permitted hazardous waste landfill. Other e-wastes such as CPUs, keyboards, and mice sent for disposal must undergo a waste determination and be managed accordingly as solid or hazardous waste.

E-Waste Storage and Processing Facilities

Facilities that store and/or process e-waste (including dismantling and recycling operations) may be subject to Indiana’s Electronics Waste Management rules, 329 IAC 16. The rules require facilities to register with the State, adhere to certain management standards, and maintain financial assurance.

For assistance in understanding the regulations and determining if your facility needs to register, contact IDEM’s Office of Land Quality at (800) 451-6027 ext 3-1052.

Note: No electronics are accepted at IDEM.

 Top FAQs