Fueling, cleaning, and maintaining boats can generate pollutants that negatively impact aquatic environments. Boaters play a vital role in protecting Indiana’s waterways. IDEM invites recreational boaters to support the Indiana Clean Marina Program and pledge to be stewards of Indiana’s waters. By actively using best management practices, boaters can prevent or reduce the amount of pollution entering our lakes and rivers and even stop the spread of aquatic invasive species.
The Benefits of Participating
Boaters who participate will:
- Be recognized as environmental stewards.
- Show that they are exemplary leaders.
- Keep our waters free of litter.
- Help protect sensitive shallow water habitat areas.
- Improve water quality and aquatic habitat.
- Help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species.
Become a Clean Boater Today! Take the Pledge!
As a recreational boater supportive of the Indiana Clean Marina Program, I pledge to be a steward of Indiana’s waters. I will read the clean boater tip sheets and use the best management practices recommended therein to protect our aquatic resources. I will further ensure that all passengers aboard my watercraft follow these best management practices, and I will encourage other boaters to be stewards of Indiana’s waters as well. For this pledge, I will receive and be authorized to prominently display an Indiana Clean Boater sticker on my watercraft.
As an Indiana Clean Boater, I pledge to:
- Keep our waters free of litter;
- Practice proper watercraft fueling;
- Help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species;
- Recycle when possible;
- Maintain my watercraft in an environmentally-sensitive manner;
- Not operate my watercraft in sensitive, shallow water habitat areas; and
- Lead by example.
Resources for Boaters
- Designated Clean Marinas
- Find a pumpout
- How to use a pumpout
- BeachGuard - E-coli Testing
- Blue Green Algae Alerts
- U.S. EPA Safer Choice - Safer Cleaning Chemicals
- Clean Boating Course - From BoatU.S.
Additional resources for boaters -- such as marina locations, fishing information, weather forecasts, and boating laws and responsibilities.
- Acronyms List
- Electronic Permitting / Regulatory Services Portal
- Enforcement Database
- Impaired Waters (e303d)
- Online Air Permit Search
- Real-Time Monitoring
- Safe Drinking Water Information Search
- Virtual File Cabinet
- Wastewater Certification Renewal
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center