A notification is a written notice from the owner and/or operator of a demolition or renovation operation to IDEM about the intent to demolish or renovate a facility or part of a facility. Notifications contain essential information about project plans, including the amount and types of regulated asbestos-containing materials (RACMs) present at the job site and the names of the:
- Indiana-licensed asbestos inspector who assessed the site.
- Contractor who will be performing the demolition.
- Indiana-licensed asbestos contractor who will be performing any necessary asbestos removal.
Owners and operators must:
- Have an asbestos inspection performed by an Indiana-licensed asbestos inspector for all intended demolition and renovation operations at facilities, before beginning asbestos removal, site preparation for demolition or renovation activities, or demolition or renovation activities.
- Complete and submit to IDEM the Notification of Demolition and Renovation Operations (State Form 44593, available on the IDEM Agency Forms page) for:
- All demolitions.
- All renovations where the amount of RACM being disturbed is at least 260 linear feet on pipes, 160 square feet on other facility components (building debris), or 35 cubic feet off facility components.
- Reportable changes (using a new form and attaching a copy of the previous form), including:
- Increases or decreases in RACMs by 20 percent or more.
- Start dates.
- Demolition contractor.
- Asbestos contractor.
- The intended waste disposal site.
- Wait at least 10 working days from the form’s post-mark or delivery date to:
- Begin a demolition.
- Begin a renovation that involves at least 260 linear feet, 160 square feet, or 35 cubic feet of RACMs and is not necessitated by a sudden, unexpected event.
- Never remove RACMs or begin any site preparation activities that would break up, dislodge or similarly disturb asbestos material, or being demolition activities on a date other than the date contained in the most recent written notification.
- Comply with any existing local ordinances, which may include separate notification requirements.
- Remit payment of the appropriate fee(s) upon receipt of an IDEM invoice.
Find an Indiana-licensed Asbestos Professional
You can find and verify the license status of Indiana-licensed asbestos professionals, including inspectors and contractors, in the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency’s free Search and Verify database.
State Fees and Billing Procedures
For each notification it receives, IDEM will assess a fee based on the amount of friable RACM that is being removed:
- The fee is $150 for a project involving the removal of more than 2,600 linear feet, 1,600 square feet, or 400 cubic feet of friable RACMs.
- The fee is $50 for a project involving the removal of less than 2,600 linear feet, 1,600 square feet, or 400 cubic feet of friable RACMs.
- The fees for demolition projects are $50 per structure being demolished.
It is not necessary to include the fee when submitting a notification because IDEM issues invoices to building owners and managers on a quarterly basis.