Language Translation
  Close Menu

ORV/Snowmobile Registration

ORV and snowmobile registrations are completed through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Owners are able to complete new registrations and other related transactions at any BMV branch in Indiana. Renewals can be done online at

Indiana Code

  • How do I register my vehicle with the BMV?

    ORV and snowmobile registrations are completed through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Owners are able to complete new registrations and other related transactions at any BMV branch in Indiana. Renewals can be done online at

    As of July 1, 2016, Indiana requires certificate of title for ORVs purchased after Dec. 31, 2009 (regardless of model year). Snowmobiles do not require a title regardless of model year but it is recommended. If a title is not required, you may process a registration for your vehicle online. Enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) twice and select “Validate VIN.” You may also be prompted to enter the year, make and model. Once the vehicle information has been entered, select the vehicle to register and follow the registration wizard.

    Off-road vehicle and snowmobile registrations may also be processed at any BMV License Branch. Requests for replacement registration documents and/or decals must be processed at a BMV License Branch, replacement transactions are not available at this time on the website.

  • Why do I have to register my vehicle?

    Indiana law IC 9-18.1-14 states that all ORV/snowmobiles purchased after Dec. 31, 2003 must be registered. The purpose of registration is twofold (1) to provide correct information for law enforcement to track stolen or improperly used vehicles, and (2) the revenue is used to improve, maintain, and administer the motorized programs, properties, and trails.

  • Are there any exemptions to mandatory registration?

    Yes, IC 9-18.1-14-1 has a listing of the exemptions. In addition, IC 14-8-2-185 has a listing of vehicles that are not considered ORVs. If you ride an ORV or snowmobile recreationally the exemptions will not apply. If your vehicle is a licensed street legal vehicle you are not required to have an off-road (ORV) registration.

  • What about titles?

    IC 9-17-2-1 states an ORV must obtain a certificate of title. This is the same process as getting a title for your car or boat and is done through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

  • I am not a resident of Indiana, what do I do?

    First, determine if your home state requires ORVs/ OHVs or snowmobiles to be registered. In this case, registration is defined by IC 9-18.1-14-5 as

    1. A certificate of registration containing the following:
      1. The number awarded to the vehicle.
      2. The name and address of the owner.
      3. Other information that the department considers necessary.
    1. Two (2) decals indicating the vehicle's registration number and the year in which the registration will expire that must be attached to the vehicle.
      1. A certificate of registration must:
        1. be pocket size;
        2. accompany the vehicle; and
        3. be made available for inspection upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

    In Indiana, an ORV or snowmobile registration certificate includes the vehicle identification number (VIN).

    CAUTION: Many states have “permits,” “decals,” “passes” and/or require titling. THESE ARE NOT REGISTRATIONS and do not allow you to ride in Indiana without a valid registration.

    If your state requires ORV registration that complies with the information above, then 9-18.1-14-1(b)(2)  allows out-of-state residents use of our facilities for up to 20 days a year.

    Indiana recognizes most out-of-state snowmobile registrations, but many out-of-state ORV registrations are not compatible with Indiana’s legal definition and information requirement.

    Out-of-state residents may register their ORV or snowmobile through the Indiana BMV.

    Out-of-state visitors to Redbird SRA and Interlake SRA can purchase an Out of State motorized permit that allows them to ride only at these two DNR properties without registration in Indiana or their home state.  Please contact the properties for details.

  • Can I register my golf cart?

    No. IC 9-18.1-3-6-8 states that golf carts cannot be registered through the bureau. Also, it is not needed as golf carts are not considered an ORV (14-8-2-185).

  • How much does it cost to register my vehicle?

    The current cost is $30 for 3 years.

  • When will I be legal to ride my vehicle?

    When you receive your registration in the mail and your decals are properly displayed on your vehicle.

  • How can I legally ride the vehicle I just purchased?

    Keep a copy of your bill of sale with you. It allows you to operate your vehicle for 45 days after purchase. The bill of sale must include date of purchase, the make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle. (IC 9-18.1-14-1(B)(4))

 Upcoming Events

More Events

 Top FAQs