Pokagon State Park's refrigerated Toboggan Run near Angola, Indiana, has about 90,000 riders every season. With the 30-foot tower and dips and valleys, the total vertical drop is 90 feet over the course of a quarter mile. The top recorded speed is 42 mph. It's a 20 to 30 second thrill ride.
Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
The Toboggan has extended hours during winter break and is open on New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day and Presidents’ Day. View the daily schedule below for holiday hours.
It opens for the season, with or without snow at 10 a.m., Nov. 26, 2020. It operates through Feb. 27, 2021.
The toboggan run operates using the State’s COVID-19 guidance and precautions, including social distancing, sanitation procedures, gathering limits, and mask guidance where applicable. Operation of the toboggan run is always SUBJECT TO CHANGE based on the monitoring and management of COVID-19 in the State.
- Gloves must be worn to ride the toboggan
- Refrigerated track (snow is not needed to operate)
- Toboggan will close if air temperature drops to 0 degrees F or below at the track
- Warming Center restrooms open; concessions available. No indoor gathering space available
- No carry-in food in toboggan area or upper/lower parking lots. No tailgating.
- Maximum of 4 people per toboggan (no exceptions)
- Must use park’s toboggan
- Children must be able to understand and follow rules
- No cameras/video equipment allowed on ride
Fees are subject to change without notice.
- $20 per toboggan per hour (including tax). Toboggan Run gift certificates.
- Park entrance fees: $7 in-state vehicles, $9 out-of-state vehicles, $2 per person on a bus
- Cash, check, Visa/MasterCard accepted
- A Driver’s license or State issued ID is required as a deposit and rents up to 4 toboggans
- No all-day rentals; no group reservations or group rates
- Sleds rented on a first-come, first-served basis
Need a Place to Stay or Eat?
The Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center is located nearby the run. It has 138 guest rooms, restaurant, and a spacious banquet and conference center. Make reservations online or call 877-563-4371.
Cross Country Ski Rental
Located at the upper CCC Shelter. Includes skis, boots and poles.
- Hours: Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., weather permitting.
- Cost: $5 an hour for youths 15 and under, $8 an hour for adults.
The slide got its start in 1935 when the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 556 built a wooden toboggan run for their own fun. The first run had a huge curve halfway down and then, near the inn, curved toward Lake James. The following year, the track was straightened to increase speed. In 1938, Company 556 erected a taller tower of about 20 feet. A second track was added in 1940.
In 1971, the slide became refrigerated. The design at that time now seems a little primitive compared to today. The old wooden tower and concrete began to deteriorate and the current 30-foot tower and track were added in 1974. In 1984, work started on renovating the two tracks. At the same time, a new rental and warming center was built. The new track did not reopen until Thanksgiving 1986. Additional work was done in 1998. More about the run's history.