Motorized Recreation


Motorized recreation in Indiana includes both snowmobiling and off-road vehicle (ORV) recreation. Geography and weather separate the two programs, but they have much in common. Both programs are:

  • Funded using registration revenue
  • Regulated by Indiana Code and Indiana Administrative Code
  • Administered by the DNR Division of Outdoor Recreation
  • Successes due to partnerships with volunteers
  • Safe and fun outdoor recreational sports

Snowmobile and ORV registration and titles

As of January 2014, the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) handles all snowmobile and ORV registrations. IC 14-16-1 requires that all snowmobile and ORVs purchased after December 31, 2003 be registered; only a few exceptions apply.

Out-of-state visitors to Redbird SRA and Interlake SRA can purchase a $20 annual Out of State Motorized Trail Use permit, in lieu of a state ORV registration. The permit is only valid at these two DNR properties, and is available for purchase at the property gatehouse or office.

If an out-of-state visitor wants to drive on Indiana roadways open to ORV use, the out-of-state ORVs must be registered in the owner’s state or registered through the Indiana BMV. If not registered in their home state, out-of-state owners must apply in-person at an Indiana BMV branch. Registration must include 1) a registration number specific to the ORV, 2) owner name and address, 3) ORV year, 4) manufacturer, 5) make, 6) model, and 7) VIN.

A motorized trail use permit is not an ORV registration.

Indiana Snowmobile and ORV Laws


DNR Motorized Properties