Lake Michigan Coastal Program History
Public participation during LMCP development
Public participation was an essential component to the development of the LMCP. Public input was sought throughout program development and led to the release of a draft program document to describe the LMCP. This initial program document, the Lake Michigan Coastal Program Scoping Document, was released in May 2001 as the first step in the public environmental review process.
Three public input meetings were held June 26- 28, 2001 on the Scoping Document. Comments were accepted until Aug. 6, 2001 and incorporated into the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (P/DEIS).
The P/DEIS contains an overview of the LMCP and describes how it meets the requirements of the Coastal Zone Management Act for approval by the U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). It also provides a description of expected environmental impacts associated with approving, delaying, or denying approval of the Indiana Lake Michigan Coastal Program under the CZMP. The DNR and NOAA held public hearings on Oct. 1, 3, and 4 in the coastal region. Comments were accepted on the P/DEIS until Nov. 5, 2001 and were incorporated in the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and Final Environmental Impact Statement (P/FEIS).
The P/FEIS was released in June 2002. Public comments were accepted until July 22, 2002. The NOAA released the Record of Decision accepting the Indiana Lake Michigan Coastal Program under the Coastal Zone Management Act, as amended, in the federal register on Aug. 12, 2002.
If you are interested in the information below, please contact Kacey Alexander, Operations Manager, Lake Michigan Coastal Program.
- Record of Decision by the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources Letter (PDF)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Letter (PDF)
- Part I: Table of Contents, Introduction and Part II Chapters 1-4 (PDF)
- Part II Chapter 5 through Part VI (PDF)
- Part VII: Public Comments Section A (PDF)
- Part VII: Public Comments Section B (PDF)
- Appendices (PDF)
- The Lake Michigan Coastal Program and Final Environmental Impact Statement (PDF, 22MB)
- The Lake Michigan Coastal Program and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (PDF)
- The Lake Michigan Coastal Program Scoping Document - June 2001
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- The Lake Michigan Coastal Program Fact Sheet (PDF)
- The National Environmental Policy Act Fact Sheet (PDF)