Splinter Ridge FWA advisories
- The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has adjusted services, events and operations to protect Hoosiers and prevent further spread of COVID-19. Please visit on.IN.gov/dnrcovid19 for a listing of what is open, closed, restricted and canceled.
Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area is dedicated to providing quality hunting opportunities while maintaining 2,980 acres of woodland and steep hills.
The Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area, named after the major ridge and historic logging road, was purchased by the state from Charles Perin in 1997. The DNR began looking at these contiguous acres of wooded hills and grassy pastures in the early 1980s. With direct contributions from the Indiana Bowhunter's Association, the Indiana Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, the Indiana Deer Hunter's Association and the Indiana Sportsmen's Round Table, the DNR started the process to purchase the land.
Most revenues used in land acquisition, development, operation and maintenance of Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area are derived from the sale of game bird habitat stamps. Funds were also provided by the federal aid program of the Wildlife Restoration Project. This federal aid program provides reimbursement on federal taxes levied on the sales of hunting, shooting, and trapping equipment.
- The steep, wooded hills of Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area provide excellent white-tailed deer and wild turkey habitat. Squirrels are also abundant at Splinter Ridge. Limited hunting opportunities are available for cottontail rabbit, quail and woodcock.
- Check-in is required. A self check-in station is located at parking lot 3 (see map). Daily permit cards must be in the possession of the hunter to enter the field. The cards must be returned to a drop box at the end of the day. Drop boxes are located in parking areas 1, 3, 6 and 7.
- All hunting seasons and bag limits apply.
- Tree stands may be left overnight from noon Sept. 15 through Jan. 10. All stands must be marked with the owner’s name, address, and phone number OR with their DNR Customer ID Number.
- Steep terrain and limited vehicle access to the interior makes hunting accessible to people with disabilities difficult. Contact Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area for information on accessible sites.
- Need a reason to get outside and move? You can volunteer alone or in small groups at this property. Some activities include trash pick-up, basic gardening, painting, and more. Call the property office for details.
- 2,980 acres of rolling hayfields, steep, wooded hills, brushy tracts and small creeks attract a wide variety of songbirds and woodpeckers.
- Blackberries, raspberries, walnuts, morels, shaggymanes, puffballs, and shelf mushrooms may be gathered from Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area. A written permit is required to remove other plants, animals, rocks and fossils.
- Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area provides 4,228 acres of steep to gently rolling hills and seven miles of the Muscatatuck River for hunting and fishing. Located in Jennings County south of North Vernon on SR 3.
- Clifty Falls State Park offers camping, picnicking and swimming. Located near Madison, Ind., entrances are off SR 62 and SR 56.
- Muskatatuck County Park provides camping, picnicking and playgrounds. Located three miles from Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area on SR 3 and SR 7 between Vernon and North Vernon.
NO Camping and NO Swimming Allowed.
Please Read and Obey All Signs.
A record of Fish & Wildlife Area property rules can be found on the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Area Rules webpage. Property specific rules can be found below, if applicable. Contact the property directly for specific questions.
In addition to a hunting and/or fishing license, the following permits are required:
- Permission to hunt during the day on Splinter Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area must be obtained before entering the field.
- Daily hunt permit cards must be in possession of the hunter and recorded through established self-service procedures outlined at the check-in station. Self-service drop boxes are located on the property for your convenience.