Indiana Deer Harvest Data
CheckINGame, Indiana DNR's online game check-in system, was first offered in 2012 and made the primary system in 2015. The preliminary data reported on this page from this system are updated once per day during deer hunting seasons.
- How to use this interactive display
- The bar chart, map, and category choices work together. Selecting a county from the map will update the bar chart. Selecting a year/season on the bar chart will update the map. Selecting a category filter such as “Antlered – Buck” updates both the bar chart and map.
- Map: Color shading is darker for counties with higher harvest counts. These colors change as different category options are selected and as the underlying harvest counts are updated. On a desktop computer, hover over a county to display the county name and count of deer harvested. Select a county to update the bar chart. Ctrl-Click to select multiple counties. Click/Tap a second time to clear, or Click/Tap in the white area next to the map. County harvest numbers in the map are the sum of all years unless a single year/season is selected from the bar chart.
- Bar Chart: The dark color indicates the number of deer harvested in any given season by this date. This allows comparisons of year-to-date values to previous years. The lighter color indicates the number of deer harvested after this date. Over the course of the year/season, the dark portion will continue to expand until the end of the season. After the end of the season, there will just be the dark color bars and a single total harvest count value for each year/season. On a desktop computer, hover over a section of a bar to display the count and the percent difference from the previous year/season. The number at the top of each bar indicates the total harvest for that year/season. Hovering over the top number will display the total and the percent difference from the previous year/season. Since a significant number of deer are harvested during the firearms season, and the firearms season starts on different calendar days each year, the year over year comparison may show large fluctuations during this timeframe.
- The display of this page has been tested with many devices, screen sizes, and web browsers. Even with this testing, there may be display issues with the specific devices and browsers.
- Why these numbers change
- Hunters who check in their game online occasionally make errors. These errors include deer misidentified as being the wrong sex, incorrect licenses, or multiple entries of the same deer.
- The Indiana DNR works throughout the deer season to correct these errors so that harvest numbers are as accurate as possible. In many cases, this involves contacting hunters to determine the type of error before a correction is issued.
- For this reason, these data are preliminary and contain some reporting error. Typically this error rate may be 1-2 percent of the totals.
- Hunters or others who use these data should expect daily change in reported numbers on this page and the deer counter because of error correction.