Language Translation
  Close Menu

Wildlife Removal Permits

Wildlife can sometimes become a problem on private lands. Permits are needed to remove some species.

Small mammals


A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture these species of wild animals listed above without a permit on the property that he/she owns or rents if the animal is:

  1. Causing or threatening to cause damage to property, or
  2. Posing a health or safety threat to people or domestic animals

The landowner/tenant also can designate another person to take that animal for them if:

  1. The landowner/tenant provides written permission (which must be on the person while taking the animal),
  2. AND no compensation of any kind is given to the person who takes the animal.
  3. A hunting or trapping license or nuisance wild animal control permit is required to take wild animals on land that you do not own or rent.

Within 24 hours of capture, the person who takes the animal must release it or euthanize it. Animals that are released must be released on land in the county where it was captured. Furthermore, the landowner or property manager must give permission for the release. These nuisance animals cannot be possessed for more than 24 hours and cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted.


If you want to trap or shoot rabbits, you will need a nuisance wild animal control permit from the DNR, or you will need take them during the rabbit season and use only those methods legal during the open rabbit season (firearms can only be used where legal).  Live cage-traps (wire or wood) that are baited with dried apples or dry ear corn can be effective in capturing cottontail rabbits.


Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own. Be sure to check local ordinances before using any firearms.

Small mammals


These species can be captured or killed year-round without a permit or hunting or trapping license from the DNR, and there are no limits to the number that can be taken as long as the species is not endangered or a species of special concern in Indiana.

Bird species

Red-winged Blackbirds
  • Crows
  • Brown-headed cowbirds
  • Common grackles
  • Red-winged blackbirds
  • Brewer’s blackbirds

American crows, brown-headed cowbirds, common grackles, red-winged blackbirds and Brewer's blackbirds can be taken without a permit if the birds are committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife, or are concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or nuisance as provided under 50 CFR 16 (federal law). Be sure to check local ordinances prior to using pyrotechnics or firearms.

  • European starlings
  • Rock (feral) pigeons
  • House sparrows

European starlings, rock (feral) pigeons (not including homing pigeons), monk parakeets and house sparrows can be taken without a permit at anytime. Be sure to check local ordinances prior to using pyrotechnics or firearms.

How to obtain a permit

The application form and regulations are available online. For questions, contact the DNR, Division of Fish & Wildlife at (317) 232-4200 or

More information

 Upcoming Events

More Events

 Top FAQs