Wild turkey hunting
Indiana spring wild turkey season starts April 26 and goes through May 14, 2023. Youth turkey season is April 22 and 23, 2023. Youth age 17 or younger on the date of the hunt can participate in the youth season but must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 18 years of age and licensed to hunt wild turkey (unless exempt from license requirements under state law). The youth hunter must comply with all other turkey hunting regulations. The youth’s adult partner may not take a turkey during the youth season and must not possess a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow while in the field, except for a handgun carried lawfully.
The bag limit during the spring season is one bearded or male turkey. The youth hunter may take only one bearded or male wild turkey in the spring, which includes both the youth and regular spring turkey seasons.
Spring turkey hunting is allowed statewide. Wild turkeys may be hunted only from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. All DNR properties managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife have spring turkey season hunting hours one-half hour before sunrise until noon for properties on Central Time and until 1 p.m. for properties on Eastern Time.
To hunt wild turkey during the spring season, a valid spring turkey hunting license and Game Bird Habitat stamp privilege are required. Those who have a lifetime comprehensive hunting, lifetime comprehensive hunting and fishing, or resident youth hunt/trap license can hunt wild turkey and do not need to purchase the Game Bird Habitat stamp privilege.
Turkeys can be hunted only with:
- A 410 caliber and 10-, 12-, 16-, 20-, or 28-gauge shotgun loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7, 7½, and Tungsten Super Shot 9 and 10. Non-toxic shot is required while hunting turkey on some DNR properties. Call the property you are interested in hunting on for additional information.
- A muzzleloading shotgun not smaller than 20-gauge and not larger than 10-gauge, loaded with pellets of size 4, 5, 6, 7, 7½, and Tungsten Super Shot 9 and 10. Combination loads using shot sizes other than these are illegal.
- Bow and arrow
- A crossbow
Licensing and regulations
- Purchase a License
- License Fees and Exemptions
- Hunting Regulations and Season Dates
- Turn in a Poacher
- What License Do I Need?
- Getting Permission on Private Land
- Getting Permission on Private Land Form
- Reserved Hunts
- Where to Hunt
- Public properties open to spring turkey hunting
- Spring Turkey Harvest Data
- Fall Turkey Harvest Data
- Turkey Hunting Safety Tips
- DNR Smartphone App
- Hunter Education Course Registration
- Replace Hunter Education Card
- Shooting Ranges
- Sunrise/Sunset Tables
- Turkey Aging Information
- CheckIN Game
- Check Stations
- Hunting Etiquette
- Turkey Temporary Transportation Tag
- Processing Wild Turkey
- Mount a Turkey Tail Fan
- Preserve and Mount Turkey Feet, Spurs, and Beards
- White Bean and Turkey Casserole Recipe