Indiana DNR COVID-19 Response
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has adjusted services, events and operations to protect Hoosiers and prevent further spread of COVID-19.
Outdoor activities, and travel to and from those activities, are still permitted. These include hiking, fishing, boating, birding, hunting, bicycle riding (on paved trails and roads) and geocaching. Beginning April 8, bike use (on unpaved trails) and horseback riding on DNR properties is temporarily suspended.
Hoosiers should follow posted restrictions and practice social distancing.
Read more about the Governor’s Executive Orders
Hunting and fishing licenses
- All 2019-2020 basic hunting, basic fishing, hunt/fish combo, youth licenses and stamps set to expire March 31, 2020, are valid until Friday, May 22, 2020. Keep a printed or electronic copy with you while hunting/fishing. If you do not have a valid 2019-2020 annual license or stamp, a new 2020-2021 annual license is required.
- For the 2020 spring wild turkey season, hunters need a 2020 spring turkey license and valid gamebird habitat stamp.
Licenses can be purchased by visiting the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System, open authorized license vendors, or calling the Indiana DNR Customer Service Center at 877-463-6367, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
All DNR properties including state parks, state forests, fish and wildlife areas, nature preserves and state recreation areas are OPEN.
Entrance fees at all properties have been temporarily suspended.
- Indiana DNR-managed lakes, trails, boat ramps and wildlife areas at Brookville, J.E. Roush, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Cecil M. Harden (Raccoon SRA), Cagles Mill (Lieber SRA), Patoka and Monroe lakes remain OPEN. However, public facilities managed directly by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at or below the dams at these lakes (i.e., tailwater areas, observation mounds, etc.) are CLOSED.
- Unstaffed archery ranges - OPEN.
- Restroom availability will be LIMITED.
- Campgrounds are CLOSED.
- All property offices - CLOSED. Passes and permits can be purchased online at ShopINStateparks.com. Property maps are available online. Find contact information on office doors.
- State park inns and restaurants - CLOSED.
- Family cabins and camper cabins - CLOSED.
- Playgrounds, fire towers, and other similar facilities - CLOSED
- Welcome Centers, Nature Centers, Historic Buildings and Visitor Centers, Forest Education Centers, Saddle Barns, Fish Cleaning Stations - CLOSED.
- Shooting ranges - CLOSED.
- Shelters, recreation buildings, and other enclosed picnic areas - CLOSED.
- State Park Inn pools and the aquatic center at Abe Martin Lodge - CLOSED.
- All group camps, youth tent and rally tent areas - CLOSED.
- Drinking fountains - OFF. Water charging stations and buckets for filling campers will be turned on as weather improves.
- Vending machines - OFF.
- The DNR Customer Service Center in downtown Indianapolis is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC but is still available by telephone (see below for number).
- The Fort Golf Course at Fort Harrison State Park - CLOSED. The Pro Shop and Garrison are CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC.
- All indoor and outdoor public programs and special events are postponed through April 30. Virtual programming is available on DNR’s social media accounts; watch the DNR calendar for details.
- All fishing tournaments on DNR owned/operated properties - CANCELED THROUGH APRIL 30.
- All fishing tournaments that require a permit through DNR, even if they are not on DNR owned/operated property – CANCELED THROUGH APRIL 20.
We continue to implement recommendations from the Indiana State Department of Health and other directives from the State of Indiana regarding any future closures or cancellations. Notifications of any changes will be provided directly to guests and groups with reservations.
How to buy a permit, pass or license
We urge the public to do business with us online and by phone.
The DNR Customer Service Center staff can answer questions and sell annual state park passes, DNR lake permits and hunting/fishing licenses at 317-232-4200 or 877-463-6367. Hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Online and phone options include:
- Buy hunting and fishing licenses at Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System
- Make or change State Park Inns reservations online or by phone at 877-LODGES1 (1-877-563-4371). Call center is open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
- Make or change campground reservations online or by phone at 866-622-6746.
- Buy annual state park passes, lake permits, horse tags and off-road riding permits at ShopINstateparks.com.
This page will be updated. Subscribe to be notified.
Read answers to small business questions relating to COVID19.