Indiana DNR COVID-19 Response
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources continues to adjust adjusted services, events and operations to protect Hoosiers and prevent further spread of COVID-19.
All DNR properties, including state parks, inns and restaurants, state forests, fish & wildlife areas, nature preserves, state recreation areas and beaches are OPEN, except as designated below.
Hoosiers should follow posted restrictions and practice social distancing.
Read more about the Governor’s Executive Orders.
Independence Day fireworks can be viewed July 4, 2020, from Clifty Falls State Park, Patoka Lake, Pokagon State Park, and Raccoon SRA (Cecil M. Harden Lake). Social distancing is expected when visiting state park properties, and masks are recommended. Please enjoy your visit responsibly for the safety of other guests and DNR staff. Personal fireworks are prohibited at Indiana State Parks. Please visit individual state park Facebook pages for special instructions, updates and/or changes based on weather. Versailles State Park’s fireworks show is scheduled for July 11. Monroe Lake will host its fireworks on Sept. 6, the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Fireworks at Indiana Dunes State Park and Mississinewa Lake have been canceled for this year.
- Guided Cave Tours at Wyandotte Woods SRA and at Twin Caves at Spring Mill State Park are CLOSED for the 2020 summer season.
- Shooting range hours differ among ranges. Check open days and hours before visiting. Willow Slough FWA’s range is closed until further notice.
- The DNR’s public outdoor swimming pools are CLOSED for the 2020 summer season due to limitations in the ability to practice social distancing on the confined space of pool decks. Locations of those closed pools include Mounds, Prophetstown, Turkey Run, McCormick’s Creek, Spring Mill, Brown County, Versailles, Clifty Falls, O’Bannon Woods, Shakamak and Harmonie state parks, along with the pool at Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber State Recreation Area [SRA]).
- Pokagon State Park: Artesian well and shelter at the end of Spring Trail - CLOSED.
- Mounds State Park: Artesian well - CLOSED.
- Drinking fountains - OFF.
- The Customer Service Center, in downtown Indianapolis, is available by telephone (317-232-4200 or 877-463-6367).
- All fishing tournaments are limited to 250 or fewer people, with social distancing.
- Self-guided caves include Brough’s Tunnel at Clifty Falls State Park, Wolf Cave at McCormick’s Creek State Park, and Donaldson Cave at Spring Mill State Park. Donaldson/Bronson Caves and Cave River Valley caves, which are managed by Spring Mill, are OPEN but require permits as usual from the Indiana Karst Conservancy.
- Boat rentals at Potato Creek State Park are CLOSED until further notice.
Several DNR properties are experiencing high use this summer. Some have reached parking capacity for day use on busy weekends, and gates have been closed, or vehicles admitted only when others leave. For real-time information, follow Indiana State Parks on Twitter (@INDNRstateparks) or (@INdnrstateparksandreservoirs). You may also wish to follow your favorite property on Facebook. View a list of DNR social media accounts.
We continue to implement recommendations from the Indiana State Department of Health and other directives from the State of Indiana regarding any future closures or cancellations. Notifications of any changes will be provided directly to guests and groups with reservations.
Hunting and fishing licenses
- All 2019-2020 basic hunting, basic fishing, hunt/fish combo, youth licenses and stamps set to expire March 31, 2020, have now expired. A new 2020-2021 annual license is required. Keep a printed or electronic copy with you while hunting/fishing.
- Licenses can be purchased by visiting the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System, open authorized license vendors, or calling the Indiana DNR Customer Service Center at 877-463-6367, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
How to buy a permit, pass or license
We urge the public to do business with us online and by phone. The DNR Customer Service Center staff can answer questions and sell annual state park passes, DNR lake permits and hunting/fishing licenses at 317-232-4200 or 877-463-6367. Hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Online and phone options include:
- Buy hunting and fishing licenses at Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System
- Make or change State Park Inns reservations online or by phone at 877-LODGES1 (1-877-563-4371). Call center is open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
- Make or change campground reservations online or by phone at 866-622-6746.
- Buy annual state park passes, lake permits, horse tags and off-road riding permits at ShopINstateparks.com and at DNR property entrance gates.