Language Translation
  Close Menu

Income Withholding

An Income Withholding Order (IWO) is an order that a court or a child support agency sends to the non-custodial parent's employer or income payor instructing them to withhold child support payments from the non-custodial parent's income. These payments are then sent to the Indiana State Central Collection Unit (INSCCU) to be applied to the child support obligation. State and Federal law require that a non-custodial parent pay child support by an IWO unless a court approves an alternative arrangement. It is important to pay through IWO because it helps to ensure that payments are made in a timely manner, in the correct amounts, and to the right parties. IWO payments are recorded and accessible by local county courts. This ensures that the non-custodial parent receives credit for these payments and the court has an accurate payment history.

‚ÄčNon-custodial Parents

If you are a non-custodial parent and have an attorney, you may need to bring the form to his or her attention. The link to the IWO form and instructions can be found here.

If you do not have an attorney (pro se), there are a few things you will need to know before using the IWO form:

  • The correct version of the IWO form MUST be used. The form can be found by clicking here.  (If this form is not used, the employer can refuse the withholding order and not withhold the income.)
  • The information you will need in order to complete the form can be found in your most recent child support order from the court. (If you do not have a copy of your most recent order, you can get a copy from your local County Clerk.)
  • Using your court most recent court order, click to open and follow the IWO instructions in the link above.

 Top FAQs