Language Translation
  Close Menu

Help with Housing

Programs for renters during COVID-19

For the health and safety of your family, it’s important for you to be able to stay in your home. If you have had trouble paying rent during the pandemic or have an eviction case already filed against you, help is available. You can look into one or all of these options for help with housing, depending on your needs.

  • Eviction case? Ask the court about pre-eviction diversion

    If you have an eviction case filed against you, the court should explain the pre-eviction diversion program. If you and your landlord agree to participate, you can have your case marked as confidential and stopped for 90 days. During that time you could:

    • Apply for rent assistance from your local program or the state program (see request money below), depending on which option is best for you
    • Access the Fast-Track Facilitation settlement conference program (see talking with your landlord below)
    • Participate in status hearings with the court

Wallet with money

Request money to pay rent

You can apply for rental assistance, which may cover past due or ongoing rent.

  • You must meet income and other requirements.
  • Your landlord may be able to help you apply.
  • Funding may or may not still be available


If you can't apply online, call 2-1-1 for help. See examples of the types of assistance offered through this program.

Text bubbles

Get help talking with your landlord

Whether or not your landlord has already started an eviction case, you can ask for help to work out an agreement and avoid a court judgment through a Fast-Track Facilitation.

  • Your landlord must agree to participate.
  • If they do, someone will be assigned to help talk about a solution you can both agree to.

Get started

You can request facilitation and apply for rental assistance if you choose. Participating in one program doesn't mean you can't apply to the other.

Scales of justice

Get help with your eviction case

Pay close attention to the information you receive from your landlord and the court. If your landlord filed an eviction case, and you fail to show up for court when ordered, the court may rule against you without hearing your side.

  • At your first hearing, the judge will explain the pre-eviction diversion program.
  • If you apply for rental assistance, it might help your case to bring a copy of your application or confirmation messages to let the court know.
  • If you need help to prepare for court, you might qualify for legal aid.

Find legal help

More information

An Eviction Task Force in Indiana has been keeping track of local, state, and federal changes regarding evictions and housing throughout the pandemic.

Attention Landlords

Federal money may be available to help renters who qualify to pay their past due and ongoing rent, and you may be able to help them apply. Get more information, which varies by location:

You can also avoid the expense and hassle of filing eviction cases by requesting Fast-Track Facilitation. If you and your tenant(s) agree to participate, a neutral facilitator will be assigned to help you and your tenant negotiate a settlement. If an agreement can't be reached, filing a case is still an option.