Language Translation
  Close Menu


IC 36-7-3 Vacation of platted land;

The Noble County Plan Commission Office will accept the application(s) for the Vacation of Platted Land per the Indiana Code. The Noble County Plan Commission will have the final decision on the Vacation of Platted Land.

Vacations of a Public Way (for example, platted roads, and alleys) must be petitioned before the Commissioners, not the Planning Commission. All applications for vacation in a public way should be filed at the Noble County Auditors Office; located in the Noble County Court House.

The Petition shall include:

  1. Specifically, describe the property proposed to vacate (i.e legal description of the tract, and/or the original (legible) plat),
  2. The circumstances of the case, and
  3. Give the names and addresses of all owners of land in said subdivision and any landowner that abuts the property, within 300' of the proposed lot(s) to vacate.

Plan Commission Requirements:

  1. Application must be accompanied by a survey by an Indiana registered land surveyor, describing the proposed land to Vacate.
  2. The petition shall be filed at least 28 days before the next available Plan Commission Meeting.
  3. Submitted application subject to review by the Zoning Administrator, allowing up to 3 business days before application approval.

The petitioner shall pay all expenses required to petition to vacate. The filing fee for vacation can be found on the fee schedule page payments accepted by check, cash, or credit card (service fees apply) will be due at the time of application. Legal advertisement and surrounding landowners will be notified by the Noble County Plan Commission Office. Affected landowners are encouraged to file written comments and/or attend the public hearing.

Other charges may also apply, please check with the Noble County Auditor's office and Recorders Office for additional filing fees.

Letter of Authorization Form

If a Landowner is unable to file a petition or attend a meeting regarding their legal property, the Letter of Authorization for an authorized agent (e.g. the petitioner's attorney, surveyor, a relative, or trusted associate) may be signed, notarized, and returned to the Plan Commission Office at the time of application.

Download the Letter of Authorization Form