Language Translation
  Close Menu


Moving Equine Under Indiana's Animal Disease Traceability Rule

What is official ID for Equine in Indiana?

BOAH recognizes three forms of identification as official.  All are approved by USDA for interstate movements.

Physical Description
Sufficient to identify an individual animal, including all of the following when present:
-Name, age, breed, color, gender, distinctive markings, cowlicks, scars, blemishes, biometric measurements, etc.
-Permanent forms of ID (brands, tattoos)
Digital Photographs
-Sufficient to identify an individual animal
-Accompany paperwork
USDA-Approved Electronic Implant (Microchip)
-Number noted on accompanying paperwork

Movements of Equine

Equine entering Indiana must be accompanied by documentation that notes official ID (as recognized by BOAH).
For other equine entry requirements go to:

Documentation required:-Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), with official ID of each animal written or attached, written within 30 days of entry
Exceptions:-Direct to an approved market 
-Equine used as the mode of transportation, when the animal returns directly to its origin.
-Veterinary care (no ownership change)
-Passing through the state 
-Meets requirements of the Extended Equine CVI provided by Global Vet Link. 

Indiana equine moving within Indiana do NOT need paperwork or identification

Other requirements:-Organizers of venues (such as trail rides and exhibitions) may request additional paperwork, identification or other requirements of participating equine.

Always call ahead to the state-of-destination for equine moving out of Indiana.

Official ID:-Equine that meet Indiana's ID requirements will meet requirements for all states, based on USDA's ADT rules.
Official ID:
-Adequate description
-Electronic implant (microchips) 
-Digital photographs
Documentation:-Call ahead to ask specific details about required documentation.
USDA recognizes Certificates of Veterinary Inspection, with official IDs noted, for inter-state movements.

-What is the time limit on CVIs?
-Is a pre-entry permit required?
-Other requirements, such as tests?
-Is the Extended Equine CVI accepted?

Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI)

The EECVI provided by Global Vet Link is accepted in Indiana. This electronic certificate is valid for up to 6 months and may be used for interstate movements of equine going to multiple destinations, such as shows and trail rides. The EECVI is NOT approved for racetrack movements.

Before each movement, equine owners are responsible for entering the destination information and assuring the horse is healthy. The EECVI expiration date will be determined automatically by the system when the certificate is created. The certificate will expire either 6 months from the date of inspection or when the animal’s current negative equine infectious anemia (EIA) test expires, whichever date comes first.

Learn more:

NOTE: Always contact the state-of-destination before traveling for additional requirements. Not all states accept the EECVI.