Language Translation
  Close Menu

Traceability & Premise ID

Animal Disease Traceability (ADT)

Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH) requirements went into effect on Jan. 1, 2015, Indiana's rule aligns with USDA's Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) program. The following information outlines what forms of identification will be recognized as official, as well as what documentation will be required for each species moving into/out of and within Indiana.

Cattle & Bison
Sheep & Goats

Premises ID

BOAH requires premises registration of all sites associated with the sale, purchase and/or exhibition of the following species: cattle, swine, sheep, goats and cervids. Equine and poultry sites may be registered on a voluntary basis.

More information about the premises ID program, including registration forms is available here

Registered but lost your Premises ID? Send an email to: (Include your name and physical address in the email.)

For additional questions about Indiana's premises ID program contact BOAH at or (317) 544-2400.

Animal ID

In general, livestock species need to be individually identified before entering the state of Indiana. Specific requirements, including types of official ID and when ID must be applied, will vary by species. Select the species below for more information on requirements and exceptions. Official ID Tags can be obtained from the following List of Official ID Distributors that serve Indiana.

Record Keeping

Producers are required to keep records of livestock movement for 5 years. This includes: purchases, sales, barter and trade.

  • Record keeping is in lieu of having a CVI for in-state movement and private sales.
  • Records must include: name and address of buyer and seller, sale date, animal ID's, breed, sex and reason for movement.

BOAH is providing an example of livestock movement record keeping. This is only an example. Producers may keep records however works best for them.

Herds Additions Record Form (PDF)
Herds Additions Record Form (Excel)

Record Keeping (Veterinarians)

Official Identification Record-Keeping spreadsheet (PDF)
Official Identification Record-Keeping spreadsheet (Excel)

Record Keeping for Markets

Reports for out-of-state animals that are moving through Indiana markets to Indiana farms must be submitted to BOAH.

Reports may be submitted as a spreadsheet (see printable/downloadable suggested formats below) or in another, legible format. Reports must contain the following information: Name and address of the source; number of head; all official ID numbers; species/breed; sex (if known); and name and address of the animals' destinations.

Submit reports via email to: or via fax to 317-974-2011.

Reports are due on the first and third Fridays of each month. (For holidays: Submit on following Monday.)

Record for out-of-state animals received (PDF)

Record for out-of-state animals received (Excel)