Securing Indiana's Pork Supply - Get Prepared Now
Get Prepared Now
Complete these steps now to save time during an emergency. The following links provide resources to complete each step.
Understand the Response Process (Foreign Animal Disease Timeline)
Register for DUNS and SAM to be eligible for federal payment
Sign-Up for the Pork Crisis Alert
A news service that delivers text messages in the event of a major, swine industry-wide emergency. Text 'PorkCrisis' to 97296 to sign-up.
Participate in Securing Indiana's Pork Supply
The Indiana State Board of Animal Health encourages all swine producers to participate in Securing Indiana's Pork Supply.
What is the National Secure Pork Supply Plan?
The National Secure Pork Supply (SPS) Continuity of Business Plan is an initiative that provides opportunities for producers to voluntarily prepare before a disease outbreak. This will better prepare pork premises that have no evidence of infection to:
- Move animals under a movement permit issued by regulatory officials; and
- Maintain business continuity during a Foreign Animal Disease outbreak
Producers should visit www.securepork.org to read about the National Secure Pork Supply Plan.
How to Participate in Indiana
In an effort to integrate the foundational elements of the national plan into Indiana's disease response framework, BOAH encourages producer participation in Securing Indiana's Pork Supply. As part of voluntary participation in Securing Indiana's Pork Supply, BOAH requires that the following items be completed:
- Premises ID Validation
- BOAH's Self-Assessment Checklist for Enhanced Biosecurity in Pork Production
- National Certified Swine Sample Collector (CSSC) Program Training and Documentation
- Test Movement Permit
- "Securing Indiana's Pork Supply" meeting with BOAH
While all the listed items are required, the order in which these items are completed is not prescribed. Some items may be the responsibility of the producer to complete. For others, BOAH is asking for producers to work with their swine veterinarian(s).
Action Items in Indiana
- Premise ID Validation: Premises IDs must be validated by BOAH. Contact Dr. Maria Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org to get Premises IDs validated. Use the Template for Premises Verification to validate multiple premises.
- Biosecurity Assessment: Work with your veterinarian to assess your site(s) biosecurity. Your veterinarian should complete BOAH's Self Assessment Checklist for Enhanced Biosecurity in Pork Production and submit to BOAH at email@example.com
- Certified Swine Sample Collectors: Individuals at each site or within a production system must be designated as sample collectors and trained by their accredited veterinarian to properly collect samples for diagnostic testing. Training veterinarians must use the standards of the National Certified Swine Sample Collector (CSSC) program for training. Veterinarians should contact BOAH at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 607-7071 for access to the training exams and answer keys. After training is complete, documentation must be submitted by the veterinarian to BOAH at email@example.com
- Movement Permit: A test digital movement permit must be completed and submitted. Contact BOAH Swine Health at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the movement permit.
- "Securing Indiana's Pork Supply" Meeting: Attend a meeting with BOAH to discuss the response process, provide additional information about the Secure Pork Supply Plan, and answer any questions. Contact email@example.com or (317) 607-7071 to schedule a meeting.
To learn more about the requirements for voluntary participation or for any questions, contact Dr. Kelli Werling at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 607-7071