345 IAC 7-7-35 Composting
345 IAC 7-7-3.5 Composting
Authority: IC 15-17
Affected: IC 13-18-10; IC 15-17-11
(a) A person composting animal carcasses or condemned and inedible waste must meet the following requirements:
(1) The compost pile is secured in a manner that can reasonably be expected to prevent domestic and wild animals from disrupting the compost pile.
(2)Carcasses added to a compost pile must be completely covered with the carbon amendment at the time the carcasses are added.
3) Leachate runoff must be prevented or controlled using a method that can reasonably be expected to accomplish the requirement. For a confined feeding operation permitted under IC 13-18-10, compliance with 327 IAC 19-7-6(b) is presumed to meet the requirements of this subdivision.
(4)The process must expose the material being processed to conditions that:
(A) are reasonably likely to kill pathogenic organisms; and
(B) will thoroughly and completely break down the material to a stage of decomposition where no visible pieces of soft tissue are present. The resulting finished product may contain small bones, bone fragments, feathers, and wool that have been processed but retain their structure. Any part that is not completely composted, such as large femur bones or skulls from adult livestock, must be crushed or removed from the compost to the extent practicable prior to or within twenty-four (24) hours after land application and must be disposed of in accordance with section 3 of this rule.
(b) A slaughtering establishment must meet the following additional requirements to compost animal carcasses and condemned and inedible waste:
(1) The composting operation may not be located in a facility that:
(A) shares a common wall or roof with the slaughtering establishment; or
(B) utilizes the same air handling equipment as the slaughtering establishment.
(2) Equipment and supplies used in the composting operation may not be moved into the slaughtering establishment.
(3) The slaughtering establishment must establish and follow procedures that will prevent adulteration of products intended for human food from the movement of personnel between the compost facility and the slaughtering establishment.
345 IAC 7-7-3.5
Indiana State Board of Animal Health; 345 IAC 7-7-3.5; filed Nov 4, 2002, 12:07 p.m.: 26 IR 695; readopted filed Jul 18, 2008, 8:16 a.m.: 20080813-IR-345080287RFA; filed Jun 16, 2011, 8:46 a.m.: 20110713-IR-345100561FRAReadopted filed 7/17/2017, 9:06 a.m.: 20170816-IR-345170165RFAFiled 5/16/2022, 10:44 a.m.: 20220615-IR-345210540FRA