- What licensing requirements are there to operate a Motor Driven Cycle (MDC)?
To operate an MDC you must possess one of the following:
- Valid driver’s license (no endorsement required)
- Valid driver’s permit (no endorsement required)
- Unexpired State of Indiana issued identification card with an MDC endorsement
- Who is eligible to obtain an MDC endorsement?
Any Indiana resident over 15 years of age.
- Who is required to have an MDC endorsement?
Anyone wishing to operate an MDC on public streets and roadways who does not possess a valid driver’s license or permit.
- Which tests do I need to complete to obtain an MDC endorsement or restriction?
You must successfully complete the MDC knowledge exam. (Only necessary if you do not hold a valid Indiana learner’s permit or driver’s license.)
- How much will it cost to get an MDC endorsement?
If you meet the qualifications for a free voter identification card, there is no charge to place an MDC endorsement on your identification card. If you do not meet these qualifications, you will be required to pay an amendment fee of $9 to add the endorsement to an identification card.
- Can I add an MDC Endorsement to my driver's license?
An MDC endorsement is not necessary when you hold a valid learner's permit or driver's license.
- I'm not sure if I have an MDC. How do I find out?
An MDC is defined as a motor vehicle that (1) has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider; (2) is designated to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground; (3) complies with the applicable motor vehicle equipment requirements under IC 9-19 and 49 CFR 571; (4) has a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters; and (5) is registered as a motor driven cycle under IC 9-18.1. The term does not include an electric bicycle.
You need to know the cylinder capacity (CC) of your MDC before visiting your branch for registration and licensing purposes. If you do not know the cylinder capacity of your MDC, contact the manufacturer.
- What do I need to bring to the branch when registering my MDC?
Motorists with an MDC are required to provide proof of ownership to register. There is no insurance requirement to operate an MDC.
- What do the MDC license plates look like?
Click here to see the MDC sample plate.