Close Menu

Transferring your Out-of-State Motorcycle License or Endorsement

New Indiana residents who held a valid motorcycle endorsement from another state may transfer that endorsement to their Indiana driver's license after passing a knowledge exam based on the Indiana Motorcycle Manual.

NOTE: If you hold an out-of-state Motorcycle Only license, the license will only be valid for a motorcycle endorsement. A driver knowledge examination and skills test must be successfully passed to obtain driver’s license with motorcycle endorsement.

View the Motorcycle Manual

Indiana has a process for recognizing approved safety courses completed in other states and all five branches of the military. An out-of-state applicant for an Indiana motorcycle license or endorsement must have completed an approved safety course no more than one year prior to applying for the Indiana license or endorsement. If you passed a motorcycle safety course in another state, or through the military, send a copy of your safety course completion card, along with your current mailing address and phone number, to the following address:

Motorcycle Safety Program
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
100 North Senate Avenue, Room 481
Indianapolis, IN 46204

You may also fax the information to 317-233-0189.

If it is determined that your safety course meets the same criteria as Indiana-approved courses, you will be issued Indiana course completion cards dated to the day when the original safety course was completed. This card will allow you to waive the required Indiana roadway skills test.

If your safety course completion card expires while you’re holding the Indiana motorcycle learner permit, you must complete another safety course.