Language Translation
  Close Menu

Transferring Out of State CDL and Non-Domiciled CDL

Non-Domiciled CDL

If you are applying for a non-domiciled CDL, all qualifications for a CDL apply and you must provide an unexpired employment authorization document. A non-domiciled CDL may be issued to an individual who has certain lawful temporary status. You do not qualify for a non-domiciled CDL if you are from Mexico or Canada.

Transferring a CDL From Out of State

The BMV will conduct a driver record search using the Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) for all license holders transferring to Indiana from another state.

If your CDLIS Pointer (Driver History) from your prior state of record is not available, or your CDLIS Pointer is incomplete, there will be a delay in processing your application for a license in the State of Indiana.

The BMV will contact the licensing officials in the state(s) where the license was previously held to complete this process. When the BMV has received the required information, the applicant will be contacted by the BMV to return to the branch to complete processing.

You must meet all requirements to transfer a driver’s license and pass the general knowledge written exams to transfer a CDL to Indiana. If you have a hazardous materials endorsement on your current CDL, you will be required to pass that knowledge exam and have acceptable threat assessment approval to be issued the endorsement on an Indiana license.