Close Menu

Obtaining a Commercial Learner’s Permit

What is required to obtain a CLP?

  • You must be at least 18-years-old if you will be transporting property within state lines or be at least 21-years-old if you will be transporting people, and
  • You must have held a driver's license for at least one year.
  • When applying for your first CDL (or CLP) in Indiana, you must provide a valid Medical Examination Report (MER) and Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC). To maintain a valid CLP or CDL, you must provide a valid MER and MEC prior to the expiration of your current MER and MEC on file with the BMV.

Is a knowledge exam required to obtain a CLP?

You must pass the specific knowledge exam for the vehicle type that you plan to operate:

Vehicle Type All commercial vehicles All school buses All buses Vehicle with air brakes Combination of vehicles Drivers required to transport hazardous material Drivers required to transport liquids in bulk Drivers required to pull double or triple trailers
Required Exam General knowledge exam School bus endorsement exam and passenger transport exam Passenger transport exam Air brakes exam Combination vehicle exam Hazardous material exam Tanker exam Doubles/triples exam

You may find the material covered in the knowledge examinations in the CDL test booklet.

View the Commercial Driver's License Test Booklet

How long is a CLP valid?

When you pass a knowledge exam, the results are valid for 180 days. You may receive only three CLPs in two years. A CLP is valid for 180 days.

Holders of a valid CLP may operate a commercial motor vehicle only when accompanied by the holder of a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL), who has the proper class and endorsement(s) necessary to operate the commercial motor vehicle.

Still Have Questions?

Send us an email about getting a commercial driver's license learner's permit.

Email Us