Language Translation
  Close Menu

Commercial Driver’s License Endorsements and Restrictions

Commercial Driver's License Endorsements

The following endorsements apply only to individuals with commercial driver's licenses:

Endorsement H – Hazardous materials

The driver is allowed to transport any material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR part 172 or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR part 73. The person must also complete a Transportation Safety Authority background screening.

In order to comply with the threat assessment measures required by the U.S.A. Patriot Act, all individuals who hold a commercial driver license with a hazardous materials endorsement must have their fingerprints recorded. The threat assessment approval is valid for five years. More information on the threat assessment is available on the Transportation Security Administration's website.

If you do not currently hold a hazardous materials endorsement, you will need to complete the threat assessment before the endorsement can be issued to you. If you currently hold a hazardous materials endorsement and you are renewing your commercial driver's license, you will need to complete a new threat assessment. If you are moving to Indiana from another state and have a hazardous material endorsement on your out-of-state CDL, you may need to complete a new threat assessment and pass the hazardous materials written test.

Apply online for a hazardous materials endorsement

Endorsement N – Tank vehicle

The driver is allowed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. A commercial motor vehicle transporting an empty storage container tank, not designed for transportation, with a rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is temporarily attached to a flatbed trailer is not considered a tank vehicle.

Endorsement P – Passenger transport

The driver is allowed to operate a commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

Endorsement S – School bus

The driver is allowed to operate a commercial motor vehicle used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school sponsored events.

Endorsement T – Doubles or triple trailers

The driver is allowed to operate a commercial motor vehicle with two or three separate trailers attached.

Endorsement X – Tank vehicles and hazardous materials

The driver is allowed to transport hazardous materials and tanker vehicles as specified above under the H and N endorsements.

Other Endorsements

Endorsement 2 – For Hire

To add a for-hire endorsement to your Indiana driver’s license, you must pass the for-hire written test or possess a chauffeur’s or public passenger chauffeur’s license that has not been expired for more than 180 days.

Endorsement L – Motorcycle Endorsement

The motorcycle endorsement allows the driver to legally operate a motorcycle on Indiana roads. The driver has satisfactorily completed motorcycle skills and written tests required by the State of Indiana.

Commercial Driver's License Restrictions

These restrictions are in addition to any driver's license restrictions and are added to a driver's commercial driver's license based on the driver passing the required commercial driver's license written or skills tests. The following is a list of restrictions that may be added to a commercial driver's license:

  • E – Automatic transmission CMV
  • K – CDL Intrastate Only (operating intrastate commerce)
  • L – No Air Brake CMV
  • M – No Class A passenger vehicle
  • N – No Class A and B passenger vehicle
  • O – No Tractor-Trailer CMV
  • P – No Passengers in CMV Bus
  • Q – Bus only
  • R – Valid for Restricted Agricultural CDL Privileges Only when presented with Seasonal Validation Document
  • T – Hazmat prohibited
  • X – No cargo in CMV tank vehicle
  • Z – No Full Air Brake equipped CMV

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. The ELDT regulations are effective February 7, 2022.

The regulations affect those who are applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

The ELDT regulations are not retroactive. If an applicant obtained a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) or CDL prior to February 7, 2022 in the above situations the applicant is not subject to the ELDT requirements.

When applicants visit a branch to complete a hazardous materials knowledge exam, BMV branch staff will verify training prior to administration of the exam.

For applicants for the Class A/B, School Bus or Passenger endorsement the training will be verified by the 3rd Party CDL Skills Test site prior to scheduling the CDL skills test.

Still Have Questions?

Send us an email about obtaining a commercial driver's license with endorsements.

Email Us