Close Menu

Commercial Driver's License Overview

Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) requirements are stricter than any other Indiana driver's license and are based upon stringent Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations. Individuals who hold an Indiana CDL are permitted to operate the following vehicles:

  • Commercial motor vehicles or combinations of vehicles with declared gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 26,000 pounds
  • Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more people, including the driver; and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

IDEL logo

Does your company operate commercially? The BMV has a new program to connect employers to their employees' driving record. If you employ drivers who hold a CDL and are operating a CMV for your company, this is an opportunity to ensure your drivers are compliant with the laws of the state of Indiana.

Learn More

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) established new minimum training standards for certain individuals applying for a Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) for the first time; an upgrade of their CDL (e.g., a Class B CDL holder seeking a Class A CDL); or a hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S) endorsement on their CDL for the first time.  These individuals are subject to the ELDT requirements and must complete a prescribed program of theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) (range and public road) instruction provided by an entity that is listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry.

Effective February 7, 2022 the State Driver’s Licensing Agencies (SDLAs) will be required to confirm applicants are in compliance with the ELDT requirements.

Visit the FMCSA webpage for More Info

Frequently Asked Questions About CDLs

  • When does my CDL expire, and how much does it cost to renew?

    Your CDL expires on your birthday and a late fee will be charged if the license is renewed after that date. If your birthday falls on a day when BMV branches are closed, such as a Sunday or a Monday, your license will remain valid until the end of the next business day.

    View the Fee Chart

  • When Do I Need a CDL?

    You will need to obtain a CDL if you operate a commercial motor vehicle that:

    • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds; or
    • Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
    • Is any size and is carrying hazardous materials which require placarding
  • How Do I Obtain a CDL?
    • Have a valid Indiana driver's license;
    • Have a valid United States Social Security number;
    • Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident or qualify for a Non-Domiciled CDL;
    • Pass a DOT physical examination and provide the BMV with an valid Medical Examination Report (MER) and Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC);
    • Obtain a commercial learner’s permit; and
    • Pass a skills test in a vehicle class you intend to operate.

    A CDL skills exam must be taken at one of the authorized CDL driving skills exam sites. There you will demonstrate your knowledge and skills of operating a commercial motor vehicle.

    If a driver’s CDL has been expired, disqualified, canceled, revoked, invalidated or voluntarily surrendered for more than one year, the holder must pass all knowledge and skills exams prior to issuance of the CDL license [140 IAC 7-3-17.5(d)].

    The DOT Physical Examination forms —Medical Examination Report (MER) and Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC) — are available from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

    Companies and individual drivers can check the processing status of a Medical Examiner’s Certificate by calling 888-692-6841 and selecting option number three.

  • How do I submit my medical forms?

    Use one of the following options to submit the completed MER and MEC:

    1. Submit in-person to any BMV branch
    2. Fax to: 317-974-1613
    3. Email to: BMVCDL@bmv.in.gov
      Please note the file must be in PDF format.
    4. Mail to:
      Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
      Attn: CDL Programs
      100 North Senate Avenue, IGCN, Room N 481
      Indianapolis, IN 46204

    If you have questions regarding your MER and MEC or want to know the status of your forms, view your Driver Record using your myBMV account or contact the BMV at 888-692-6841.