License Plates Overview
The BMV offers a variety of standard and distinctive license plate designs to choose from. Distinctive license plate designs include Indiana's standard and historic plates, plates supporting military personnel and their families, plates benefiting local colleges, universities, or organizations, personalized plates and plates for specific types of vehicles.
When you purchase or renew any Indiana license plate, you will pay registration fees and taxes determined by the year and make of your vehicle, and your county and municipality of residence. If you purchase or renew a Special Group Recognition license plate, you may pay administrative and group fees determined by the organization sponsoring the plate. To learn more about vehicle registration fees and taxes, please review our Fees and Taxes webpage.
Purchase a Special Machinery License Plate
Register a Municipal Vehicle License Plate
Apply for Fleet Vehicle License Plates
Register an Authentic Civic Event License Plate
License Plate Frame and Sticker Display Requirements
License plates, including temporary license plates issued by the BMV, must be displayed as follows:
- On the rear of the vehicle
- With all text, numbers, and stickers fully visible and not obstructed or obscured by any part of the vehicle or other foreign materials, such as plate frames or covers
- Securely fastened in a horizontal position at a height of at least 12 inches from the ground, measuring form the bottom of the license plate
A tractor, dump truck, or a truck with a rear-mounted forklift or a mechanism to carry a rear-mounted forklift or implement must display a license plate on the front of the vehicle.
An interim license plate issued or used by a dealer or manufacturer must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle or affixed on the left side of a window that is facing the rear of the motor vehicle and is clearly visible and unobstructed.
Sticker Display Requirements
Your Indiana license plate should have three stickers:
- An indicator/sticker in the top right-hand corner showing the year in which your registration expires and must be renewed.
- An indicator/sticker in the top left-hand corner showing the month and day on which your registration expires and must be renewed.
- An indicator/sticker in the bottom right-hand corner showing the county in which your vehicle is registered.