Main Content


Getting a Commercial Learner's Permit

To get a commercial learner's permit (CLP) you must be at least 18-years-old if you will be transporting property within state lines, and at least 21-years-old if you will be transporting people. You must have held a driver's license for at least one year.

To get a CLP you need to pass the appropriate knowledge exam for the vehicle type that you plan to operate:

  • All commercial vehicles drivers: General knowledge exam
  • All school bus drivers: School bus endorsement exam and passenger transport exam
  • All bus drivers: Passenger transport exam
  • Vehicle with air brakes: Air brakes exam
  • Combination of vehicles: Combination vehicle exam
  • Drivers required to transport hazardous material: Hazardous material exam
  • Drivers required to transport liquids in bulk: Tanker exam
  • Drivers required to pull double or triple trailers: Doubles/triples exam

When you pass a knowledge exam, the results are valid for 180 days. You may receive only three CLPs in two years. A CLP is valid for 180 days.

Holders of a valid CLP may operate a commercial motor vehicle only when accompanied by the holder of a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) who has the proper class and endorsement(s) necessary to operate the commercial motor vehicle.

You may find the material covered in the knowledge examinations in the CDL test booklet.

When you apply for a CDL you must present documents of identification proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Indiana residency.

Read the Commercial Driver's License page for additional information, including the medical examination requirements.

Still Have Questions? Contact The BMV