Close Menu

Main Content

Amending Your Driver’s License or Identification Card

If there is a change to your name or residential address, you are required by law to amend your credential within 30 days. You will have to visit your local BMV branch. You cannot amend online. The highlighted topics below cover what may be amended.

If you visit a BMV branch to amend your chauffeur’s or public passenger chauffeur’s license, you will be required to renew to an operator’s license with the For-Hire endorsement.

Learn more about the For-Hire endorsement

Name Change

You must visit a Social Security Administration office to officially change your name on Social Security documentation, and allow at least one business day after your name change transaction is completed before visiting a BMV branch. You will need to visit a BMV branch and apply for an amended license or identification card within 30 days of the legal name change.

Acceptable documents supporting a legal name change include, but are not limited to:

  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree (must indicate previous name and new name, unless you are returning to your maiden name)
  • Court order approving a change of legal name
  • An original or certified copy of an amended birth certificate showing a change of name

Date of Birth Change

If your date of birth is incorrect on your driver’s license or identification card you must visit a BMV branch to amend the date of birth. If your date of birth is incorrect on your birth certificate, you should contact the vital records agency in the state or county of your birth.

Acceptable documents supporting the change in date of birth include:

  • Original or certified copy of your birth certificate from a United States jurisdiction or a United States territory.
  • Court order approving a change of date of birth.
  • An original or certified copy of an amended birth certificate showing a change in date of birth.

Address Change

The BMV maintains two address for each customer: residential and mailing addresses.

A residential address is the address the BMV requires to validate your permanent place of residency in Indiana. You have to provide two approved documents to establish or update your residential address within 30 days of the address change. You must visit a BMV branch to update your residential address.

To learn more about acceptable documents proving Indiana residency, click the Proof of Indiana Residency tab.

Your mailing address is an alternate address you may provide to the BMV for mailing your correspondence – including license plates, renewal reminders, and other communications. You may update your mailing address online at any time by signing into your myBMV account. You may also update your mailing address at any BMV branch.

Gender Change

If you have a gender change procedure and hold an Indiana learner’s permit, driver’s license, or identification card, you must visit a BMV branch to amend your credential.

Acceptable documents supporting the change in gender include:

  • A certified, amended birth certificate; or
  • A Physician’s Statement of Gender Change – State Form 55617, completed in its entirety by both the applicant and the physician; or
  • A physician’s signed and dated statement, on letterhead, that includes the language from 140 IAC 7-1.1-3 “<insert customer’s name> successfully underwent all treatment necessary to permanently change <insert customer’s name> gender from <insert prior gender> to <insert new gender>.”

Restrictions and Endorsements

If you need to add or remove any restrictions and/or endorsements, you must visit a BMV branch and amend accordingly to indicate the change.

Medical Conditions

You may add or remove certain medical conditions to your identification card or driver’s license as needed by visiting a BMV branch. Submission of medical condition information is voluntary. No documentation is required to add or remove medical condition information on a credential. The accuracy of the medical condition information provided is your responsibility.

Active Military and Veteran Indicator

If you are on active duty in, or a veteran of, the United States Armed Forces you may choose to add an indicator to your credential.

Find more info on how to obtain a military or veteran indicator

Submitting Acceptable Documents

The BMV will only accept original documents or certified copies from the issuing agency. The BMV may refuse any document that appears fraudulent, unreliable, altered, or expired. All documents must be in English or be presented with a verifiably accurate English translation.

Your legal name and date of birth on documents presented to the BMV must match Social Security Administration records. Please wait at least 24 hours after updating your information with the Social Security Administration before bringing your documents to a BMV branch.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs