Duplicate Title Application
A duplicate title is obtained when the original title has been lost, stolen, mutilated, destroyed, or becomes illegible. The duplicate title is printed with the word “DUPLICATE” on its face. When a duplicate title is issued, the original title becomes void. In the event the original title is located, destroy it to ensure it is not used in the sale or transfer of ownership of the vehicle. When purchasing a duplicate title, you must provide an unexpired photo ID (e.g., driver's license, state-issued ID, school, military, bank card, passport, probation card, work ID, membership card).
A duplicate title may be purchased using any of the options below:
- License branch
- 24 hour Self Service Terminal
- BMV Full or Partial Service Provider
- U.S. Mail. When using this option, you must submit:
- Completed Application for Certificate of Title For A Vehicle - State Form 205 or Application for Certificate of Watercraft Title – State Form 38529
- Unexpired photo ID
- Check, cashier’s check or money order payable to BMV (see fee chart)
- Personal checks will not be accepted with an out-of-state address.
Mail the documents to:
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
100 N. Senate Ave., Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204
When using one of these options, you may choose to have the title expedited to your location for an additional fee, using BMV’s speed title service. A speed title is a title that is processed in a substantially shorter period of time than the normal processing period.
Speed titles are mailed in the following manner:
- If mailed to an Indiana standard mailing address or out-of-state address: FedEx Ground
- If mailed to an Indiana PO Box: USPS Priority Mail
See the fee chart to determine the cost.