Close Menu

Main Content

Registration & Plates

  • BMV Home
  • Current: Registration & Plates

Real ID banner

Renew your registrations online or register your vehicle, and you will receive your materials in 14 days.

Have you recently renewed a license plate? Track your renewed registration as it is processed and mailed to you.

If you have lost your registration, you can print a duplicate registration online or at any BMV Connect kiosk.

If you need a replacement expiration year sticker, you can print one at any BMV Connect kiosk.

Individuals or companies involved in commercial interstate transportation that meet certain criteria may be eligible for the International Registration Plan (IRP). The IRP allows registered carriers to obtain one plate and registration cab card to travel in multiple states at specific weights.  The program is managed by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR).

Register a New Vehicle

If you have purchased a vehicle within the last 60 days and the title application has been submitted to the BMV, you may register your new vehicle online or at a BMV Connect kiosk. If your vehicle was purchased more than 60 days ago, you need to visit a BMV branch.

Indiana's License Plates

You may choose from a variety of license plate designs, including Indiana's standard and historic plates, plates supporting military personnel and their families, plates benefiting local schools or organizations, personalized plates, and plates for specific types of vehicles.

Vehicle Emissions Testing

Vehicles registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years if they were manufactured after 1976 and have a gross vehicle weight rating of 9,000 pounds or less.

Excise Tax Credit/Refunds for Vehicles Sold, Destroyed or Registered in a Different State

If you have sold or destroyed (total loss) a vehicle, you may apply to receive a credit/refund of a portion of the Indiana vehicle excise taxes.

Only vehicles charged Vehicle Excise Tax, Recreational Vehicle Excise Tax (RVET), County Vehicle Excise Tax, and Municipal Vehicle Excise Tax are eligible to receive a vehicle tax credit or refund.

Proof that the vehicle was sold, destroyed, or otherwise disposed of is required in order to apply for a credit or refund. The documents that may be used as proof include, but are not limited to:

  • Bill of Sale – Must contain the name of purchaser, date of sale, vehicle identification number, selling price, and signature of the seller.
  • Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax (ST-108) – State Form 48842 – Must be completed by dealer and show the vehicle was traded in.
  • Copy of assigned title, front and back.
  • A statement from the insurance company that states the vehicle was a total loss. The statement must include the vehicle’s vehicle identification number (VIN).

If you have a vehicle that is registered in a different state, you may apply to receive a refund of a portion of Indiana excise tax. You must provide a copy of the vehicle’s certificate of registration or registration receipt from the new state of registration and a copy of the Indiana certificate of registration (if available).

Applications for a vehicle excise tax refund may be processed at any BMV branch or by mailing the application to the following address:

Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Central Office Title Processing
100 N. Senate Avenue, Room N417
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Download the Application for Vehicle Excise Tax Credit/ Refund

Affidavit of Nonuse

An Affidavit of Nonuse – State Form 56164 may be completed in lieu of a timely new registration or a timely renewal registration for a vehicle that will not be used on an Indiana road for a period of at least 90 consecutive days. Upon the timely completion of the affidavit by the registrant and validation at a BMV branch, the vehicle is not required to be registered until the vehicle’s owner intends to use the vehicle upon an Indiana road.

If the owner is in compliance with the requirements stated in the affidavit, the Affidavit of Nonuse allows a person to avoid a registration administrative penalty when the person is ready to apply for a certificate of registration. The Affidavit of Nonuse does not exempt a person from owing registration fees or taxes upon registration.

To be eligible to complete the Affidavit of Nonuse, the vehicle’s owner must meet at least one of the following conditions:

  • For new purchases, the affidavit must be completed within 45 days after the vehicle’s purchase date or acquisition date.
  • For renewal transactions, the affidavit must be completed on or before the expiration date of the existing registration.

A person who wishes to complete an Affidavit of Nonuse must visit a license branch to request the affidavit. Affidavit of Nonuse is considered to be valid and completed on the date that is signed by both the vehicle’s owner and validated at a license branch.

The vehicle becomes subject to registration on the date the vehicle will be used upon an Indiana road.

Department of Revenue Base Plate Registrations

Companies that have 25 or more vehicles that are charged Commercial Vehicle Excise Tax (CVET) must register those vehicles with the Department of Revenue Motor Carrier Services (DOR-MCS).

The following vehicle types are charged CVET and must be registered with DOR-MCS if a company owns 25 or more of the qualifying vehicles:

Trucks with a declared gross weight exceeding 11,000 pounds


Trailers with a declared gross weight exceeding 9,000 pounds


Recovery Vehicles


The BMV reviews company files annually to identify new qualifying DOR Carrier companies. If your company becomes a new DOR Carrier, the registrations for all qualifying vehicles defined above must be renewed with DOR-MCS.

Once a company has been marked a DOR Carrier, it will remain in the DOR-MCS program even if it falls below the 25 qualifying vehicle registrations.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs