Main Content


Suspension & Reinstatement

Under Indiana law, courts can order the BMV to suspend an individual’s driving privileges. State law also requires the BMV to suspend a person's driving privileges for certain violations - including failure to provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance). Click the categories below to learn more about suspensions and reinstatements.

Learn more about reinstating your driving privileges

Common Traffic Violations

Indiana law allows the courts or the BMV to suspend the driving privileges of a driver when he or she is found to have committed certain traffic violations or failed to file required documentation. Mandatory suspensions can be the result of a court order or a legislative mandate requiring the BMV to take action on a driver’s record.

Learn more about Common Traffic Violations

Driver Points and Safety Program

Indiana law assesses a point value for most traffic-related convictions. Drivers must complete a Driver Safety Program if convicted of two or more traffic offenses, are involved in two or more accidents, or a combination of the two.

Learn more about point values and the Driver Safety Program

Common Suspension, Reinstatement, and Insurance Forms

Indiana drivers involved in accidents and those who have received convictions for traffic offenses may be required to submit a Certificate of Compliance, Proof of Financial Responsibility, Affidavit of Current Insurance, or Reinstatement Fee Submission forms to the BMV.

Learn more about common suspension, reinstatement, and insurance forms

Proof of Financial Responsibility (Insurance)

You are required to provide proof of financial responsibility to the BMV after being involved in an accident or certain traffic violations. If you receive a notice from the BMV requesting proof of financial responsibility, only your insurance provider is authorized to submit proof of insurance to the BMV.

Learn more about providing proof of insurance to the BMV

Registration Holds – Ohio River Bridge Toll Violations

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) may place a hold on your registration if you have unpaid toll violations due from the Ohio River Bridge (ORB).

If you have a hold on your registration due to an outstanding ORB toll violation, you will not be able to renew your registration until the toll violation has been settled through RiverLink. To pay the toll, you must contact RiverLink directly at 1-855-RIV-LINK (1-855-748-5465). The BMV neither accepts nor collects payment for toll violations.

All questions about the ORB toll violation, including payment amount, must be directed to RiverLink. Additional information about the ORB toll can be found at www.RiverLink.com.

Once the ORB toll violation has been paid/settled, the registration hold should only take a few minutes to be released, and you may renew your registration

Out of State Residency Affidavit

Out of State residents may submit the Out of State Residency Affidavit to waive the SR50 or SR22 requirement. If you become an Indiana resident again prior to the expiration date of the insurance requirement period, you will be required to meet the insurance requirements until the expiration date.

Download the form as a fillable PDF