Sub Navigation

  Close Menu

Attorney General

Military Outreach

The Indiana Attorney General's Office is honored to be working with the Indiana National Guard in assisting Hoosier Guard Members. The information on this page will help lay the groundwork for protecting a soldier from identity theft while they are away protecting our country. In addition, there is information on other laws designed especially for soldiers on active duty.

Credit Reports

A credit report can be a great tool for spotting identity theft. A free credit report is available annually at http://www.annualcreditreport.com. Information on your credit report that is not familiar could indicate identity theft. If you feel you may have been a victim of identity theft, contact the Office of the Indiana Attorney General at 1.800.382.5516 or file a complaint at http://www.IndianaConsumer.com.

Credit Freeze

Another tool available to Hoosier soldiers is a credit freeze. Placing a freeze on your credit reports can block an identity thief from opening a new account or obtaining credit in your name. A credit freeze keeps new creditors from accessing your credit report without your permission. If you activate a credit freeze, an identity thief cannot take out new credit in your name, even if the thief has your Social Security number or other personal information. A credit freeze is free to Indiana residents.

To place a freeze, either use each credit agency's online process or send a letter by certified mail to each of the three credit agencies:

Equifax Security Freeze
P.O. Box 105788
Atlanta, GA 30348
Place a Security Freeze Online with Equifax

Experian Security Freeze
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
Place a Security Freeze Online with Experian

Trans Union Security Freeze
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
Place a Security Freeze Online with Trans Union

For more information click here.

Active-Duty Alert

An Active-Duty Alert is another way a soldier can help protect his/her identity without cost. An Active-Duty Alert is placed on an individual’s credit report to inform a business it is obtaining information from a soldier away on active duty and requires the business first to obtain permission from an authorized third party before proceeding. In this case, the third party may be a trusted family member, spouse, or friend.

To place an Active duty alert on your credit report contact one of the major credit reporting agencies; Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. Once notified, that agency will contact the other two agencies to inform them of the alert.

Alerts are effective for one year and must be renewed annually. Once initiated, an Active-Duty alert can be canceled at any time.

  • 1.800.680.7289 www.transunion.com
  • 1.800.525.6285 Equifax Alerts
  • 1.888.EXPERIAN (397.3742) Experian Alerts

Fraud Alert

Fraud alerts are closely related to Active-Duty alerts but are often used after personal information has been compromised. Fraud alerts last 90 days and then must be renewed, A fraud alert tells users of your credit report that they must take reasonable steps to verify who is applying for credit in your name. To initiate a fraud alert, contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies. Once notified, that agency will contact the other two agencies to inform them of the alert.

  • 1.800.680.7289 www.transunion.com
  • 1.800.525.6285 Equifax Alerts
  • 1.888.EXPERIAN (397.3742) Experian Alerts

Terminating Vehicle and Property Leases

Soldiers who are on deployment are able to legally terminate some leases. If you are currently leasing a vehicle or home/apartment and wish to terminate your lease, contact the leaseholder and inform them of your deployment.

Below are sample letters that can be used to terminate a lease:

Capping Interest Bearing Debts while on Active Duty

Soldiers on active duty may cap the interest rate on most outstanding loans at 6 percent under the provisions of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). To have your interest rate reduced to 6 percent, you must write a letter to each creditor letting them know about your orders and your intent to invoke the 6 percent cap.

  • A sample letter to send each creditor is available here 

Recommended Resources

Personal Finance Guide for Military Families

If you believe you have been a victim of Identity Theft, please review the Identity Theft Victim Kit available from the Office of the Indiana Attorney General at:

You are also encouraged to file an ID theft complaint with the Attorney General's ID Theft Unit.

If you need further assistance, you may contact the ID Theft Unit at 1.800.382.5516 or by email at: IDTheft@atg.in.gov.

For information on foreclosure prevention visit http://www.877GetHope.org